Removing stuck multiport from filter housing?

JesseWV

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2011
West Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Today after being unsatisfied with filter performance I decided to check the sand level in the filter. Unfortunately I could not get the multiport valve to unscrew from the top of the filter. I first tried counter clockwise but it would not budge one bit. I was putting so much force on it I was worried I was going to break the port openings off. I even tried counter clockwise a few times but still no movement whatsoever.

PICT0514.JPG

As you can see my filter housing is also two pieces that are bolted together. Am I doing this properly? Is the multiport perhaps glued in and the filter needs to be opened by unbolting the two halves? That seems like it would cause sand to go everwhere.

Well it's a good thing I decided to take the filter apart. The long PVC pipe that runs down to the laterals and up to the multiport had the top halfway broken off right where it enters the multiport.

Parts of the top of the sand were covered about 1/2" of caked dirt. I ended up scooping all of the sand out and washing it in a large kiddie pool with a hose. I had to cut the pipe clean, attach a high pressure coupling, a new piece of PVC, prime and glue. It took some work to get the length just right. Everything went back together nicely. I took the opportunity to apply new teflon pipe tape to all the fittings.

When I restarted the pump I had it on the backwash setting for a minute, rinsed, and then got the same 12psi I always have on the filter setting. I'm really hoping the pressure starts to rise soon which would tell me it's actually filtering.

I was so busy trying to get this fixed before I lost daylight I didn't take any pictures. However the top of the pipe was half gone leaving at least a 1" hole for water to be sucked through from the very top instead of from the bottom. Water takes the path of least resistance so it couldn't have been drawing much from the bottom of the sand pile.

All I can think of is all the electricity I've wasted running my pump on what has been essentially "Recirculate."

JasonLion said:
Sand filters are usually only half full of sand. Sand filters need about one foot of space above the sand for free water flow for everything to work correctly.

It surely was only full of sand to the top of the bottom half.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.