Opening Pool...Day 25, Work Your Magic ProTeam's MM

May 5, 2009
NC
We didn't cover our pool last winter because we live in an extremely open, windy area. The winter before the wind ripped the cover off even after using deluxe clips as an added measure to keep the cover on. Was really a pain to deal with in the dead of winter. So I figured I skip that this time and just deal with cleaning up the pool when the time comes. BIG mistake! Now I have an even bigger headache to deal with. :cry:

Pool is greener than my grass. I fished out a couple frogs this morning, no telling what else might be in there. Here are my numbers.

FC 0
pH 8.2 or maybe a tad higher (test won't read any higher)
TA 100
Cal 70
CYA 0? (I'm guessing, waiting for my refills to arrive. Was 30 last summer, then drained below return to close without covering and just topped back off. It was 0 when I opened last summer, so I'm assuming it's the same this time.)

I know I need to lower my pH before I begin shocking. I've never had to do that before and can't remember how to add the MA. Pool Calc said I need to add 28 oz. to go from 8.2 to 7.4 but where do I pour it? In front of the return or slowly around the pool? I did a search and can't find the info. Also, how long after that do I need to wait to start shocking? I know I have to add CYA, just didn't know if I should wait until I get the pH fixed first or what.

Does it sound like I'm headed in the right direction? .......lower pH, add CYA, then shock. I know I need to brush, brush, brush then brush some more but I was going to wait until the water clears a bit since I can't see anything. I was planning to vac then too. I re-read "How to Turn a Green Swamp into a Sparkling Oasis" and hopefully I'm not forgetting anything.

Thanks for your help!

*Edited to change MA amount, don't know what I was looking at when I put 17 oz.

**Edited multiple times for title

Re: Opening Pool....Lower pH, Add CYA, Shock???

stephanie4136 said:
We didn't cover our pool last winter because we live in an extremely open, windy area. The winter before the wind ripped the cover off even after using deluxe clips as an added measure to keep the cover on. Was really a pain to deal with in the dead of winter. So I figured I skip that this time and just deal with cleaning up the pool when the time comes. BIG mistake! Now I have an even bigger headache to deal with. :cry:

Pool is greener than my grass. I fished out a couple frogs this morning, no telling what else might be in there. Here are my numbers.
file.php

:mrgreen:

LOL, it wouldn't surprise me! Hey, at least he's not a snake! I was afraid to stick my arm down in there. Started adding bleach at 2:30 yesterday afternoon, tested every 30 min. until dark bringing back to shock level each time and back at it again this morning....trying to hit it hard! Tried to upload pics, but they don't show up. :( Maybe files are too large?

Here are pics so far. Starting to get discouraged because I haven't seen much progress since yesterday morning. I've been checking about every 30 minutes (except overnight) since Saturday and bringing back to shock level.

Attachments

• photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 509
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 509
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 510
Re: Opening Pool....Pics added

stephanie4136 said:
Finally got all my CYA dissolved in a sock and tested. Seemed to be around 32ish. I've been shocking to 12, should I increase it to maybe 13?
24 hours after the CYA has dissolved, increase your shock level to the amount of CYA increase. We recommend that you wait about a week to retest, as it can take several days up to a week to fully show up on tests.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Just got the ladder out, threw Rover in, didn't run 3 minutes and bag was full of Shrek poop. Now I see why I'm not making much progress. Looks like Rover will be taking several dips for the next few days! I just wish the temps would cool down a bit outside.

Ran Rover several times. Finally made a trip to the store to get a new brush, so started brushing today. Any chance it will be clear by next Tuesday?

Attachments

• pool6.jpg
    pool6.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 404

You've still got a little ways to go but if you keep after it hard it should be much better by then. I'd bump the shock up to about 20 when you add and that way it'll still be above shock level when you test and add again.

X2 on the 20 ppm shock level. And keep removing the organic debris if you have not already done so, it will eat up your chlorine... Keep on it, you are well on your way, just keep that fc up so the algae doesnot have a fighting chance! :mrgreen:

Re: Opening Pool....Day 11

Day 11 and still not seeing much change. Still can't see the bottom. Could it be because my filter just has so much work to do with cleaning all the dead algae out or is it possible I could have other problems? Can't tell if I'm headed backwards, the water seems darker and not as milky looking (not talking about the shaded side, sun hasn't hit it yet this morning).

Attachments

• pool7.jpg
    pool7.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 316
Re: Opening Pool....Day 11

It didn't get mucky overnight, it won't clear overnight.

If the picture's accurate, I'd say you're on the threshold. Very soon, you'll go to bed to cloudy water and wake up the clear. It's like running the FC test. Drop after drop, no change, then poof! Total change.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.