Opening Pool...Day 25, Work Your Magic ProTeam's MM

Re: Opening Pool....Day 11

K, thanks for the encouragement. I keep telling myself it sat uncovered and unchlorinated for almost 8 months, it's going to take time.....but it's hard to wait when you have 6 kids hounding you to swim. ;) Can't wait to post a pic of sparkley water!

Re: Opening Pool....Day 13

I'm starting to get excited......feel a little like a kid in a candy store! Just went out to brush what I could reach real quick before I go pick up the kids from school and was watching as the brush went in to see how far I could get before it disappeared. Well, I hit bottom and I could still see it!!!! Water is not crystal clear, although the first several inches look really clear when you look at them from the side, but this is progress!!! I still can't make out the pebble pattern on the bottom of the liner unless I really strain to see it, but I can see the brush very well. When I get back I'm going to throw Rover in and see if it helps any. Yay!!! This is a happy day! Fingers crossed for crystal clear by Saturday....

Re: Opening Pool....Day 14

Ok, changed out the cartridge to a brand new one to see if that will help things along. The other one was new at the beginning of this process, but it has been put through alot and even after hosing it down really well each time the inside of the pleats still look dirty......will probably get some cartridge cleaner to clean it up a bit more and just keep it for a back up in case I need it (or do you guys think it's useless and I should just trash it?). The plan was to put the 2nd one in once the pool was clear, but I'm beginning to wonder if the other cartridge was what was keeping the pool from clearing up, so change of plans!

Can see the entire bottom, but still not clear. It has kind of a yellowish tint. Could that be metals? We do have well water. When I've been cleaning the cartridge the past few days it looks all rusty. It looks like that every summer, but my water always gets crystal clear. If I pass the OFCLT without the water clearing completely, would that pretty much confirm metals? I'm really hoping the filter will clear it, I've never had to buy anything to remove metals before and we have already spent a small fortune trying to clear the pool.

Attachments

• pool10.jpg
    pool10.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 76
Re: Opening Pool....Day 17

This forum really depresses me because that is my situation exactly.....I went through a lot of discussion last year to no avail......but I did invest in the better test kit from you guys this year.....but have not tackled my pool yet due to the cost of filling my pool up....hope to start on it next week.....will have many questions at that time I'm sure.

Re: Opening Pool...Day 20, How long is it safe to shock?

I have been running shock levels of 18-20 for a couple weeks now. CYA is now 40, so I know I need at least 16. I'm starting to get worried about damage to my liner and my pump. How long is it safe to shock that high? This pool doesn't seem like it's ever going to clear up! It still has a yellowish tint to it. I have run the OFCLT the last few days just to see where I'm at and have had FC losses from 2-2.5. My CC has been .5 up until this morning when it was 0. So I'm assuming I'm not done shocking between that and the water still not being 100% clear. Should I be worried? Thanks.

Attachments

• pool12.jpg
    pool12.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 61

Keep shocking, pump on 24/7 and daily brushing. No surrender !
I would not hose the cartridge before the pressure increases. Cartridges filter better when dirty.
Pumps are meant to pump and I would not worry either about the liner at FC 20.
Good luck !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Have you taken everything out of the pool like your ladder or stairs and cleaned them by hand? Is their anything in the pool that you've missed cleaning? If you are seeing a yellow tint while sweeping, I would go ahead and bump the chlorine level to Mustard shock level. You are very close, keep going!

I just noticed that your stairs have railings on them. Make sure you take those off and clean the inside of the pipes. I used dryer vent brushes to clean mine out and that where the algae was hiding in my pool.

BBailey said:
Have you taken everything out of the pool like your ladder or stairs and cleaned them by hand? Is their anything in the pool that you've missed cleaning? If you are seeing a yellow tint while sweeping, I would go ahead and bump the chlorine level to Mustard shock level. You are very close, keep going!

I just noticed that your stairs have railings on them. Make sure you take those off and clean the inside of the pipes. I used dryer vent brushes to clean mine out and that where the algae was hiding in my pool.

My steps are out, have been since maybe the first week when the water cleared up enough to see what we were doing when we were taking them out. Didn't want to put them back in until everything else was ready. The only other thing in the pool is the light which we changed out to a brand new one because the other one quit working last year. Maybe we should have waited until we were done, but the other one was so nasty we wanted to get it out and went ahead and put the new one on while the railing was up. We did wait until we had been shocking for several days though.

The water itself seems to have a yellow tint, my husband says it's a green tint, I don't know....maybe I'm color blind. ;) It's clear, just tinted. Mustard algae shock level for CYA 30 says 19 which I have been between 18-20 sometimes a little more if I knew I wouldn't be able to check the water for awhile. I added enough CYA on Tuesday to go up to 40, Wednesday morning it was dissolved, but still registering at 30. Mustard algae shock for CYA 40 says 24, but I didn't really want to go that high unless I really need to.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel! This is getting so frustrating! Our daughter's 13th birthday is this coming Friday and she really wanted a pool party.....looks like that's not going to happen. :(

Test results from this morning:

FC 19
CC 0
TC 19
pH 7.8
TA 130 (? some of the drops seemed a little small)
CH 70
CYA 30

Floater said:
stephanie4136 said:
If I pass the OFCLT without the water clearing completely, would that pretty much confirm metals?

It almost looks like metals to me, what ARE you losing overnight?

Lost 2 last night. Has been anywhere from 2-2.5 and CC's .5-0 with it being 0 last night. Still have yet to lose only 1 or less, so that's why I'm hestitant to quit shocking. We do have well water. That's where all the pool water has come from since day 1 and haven't had any problems the previous two seasons.

Re: Opening Pool...Day 22, How long is it safe to shock?

Well you definitely still need to keep shocking as you are still dealing with algae with loss of FC overnight. Your progress is evident, so just keep at it. I would bump it up a little more than schock level so you can catch it before it might drop too low and lose what you've gained. I would say you are almost near...don't give up. The biggest thing to watch is your numbers after the sun goes down and what it is in the morning. Are you still running the pump 24/7? I use well water as well, and it usually doesn't change much season to season if it all.

Yes, still running pump 24/7. Actually, we do all summer anyway. I just feel the water looks better when I do. Hate the light bill, but like my water to look it's best!

Fingers crossed for clear water in the morning!

How did your pool do last night?

Looks like metals (iron & copper) issue to me. I have the same problem and use the robarb metalmaster. I order it online from poolgeek.com. I order it a case at a time as its cheaper than any store has it. Works like a charm. Take a look at this water. No green tint to it.

good luck! :cheers:

reindeerboy said:
Looks like metals (iron & copper) issue to me. I have the same problem and use the robarb metalmaster. I order it online from poolgeek.com. I order it a case at a time as its cheaper than any store has it. Works like a charm. Take a look at this water. No green tint to it.

good luck! :cheers:

Nice! :cheers:

OFCLT showes no FC loss last night and no CC. Was planning to shock one more day and test overnight again just to be sure in case I somehow messed up the test last night. I double checked this morning, so it would have to be last nights test that was wrong if I did. Headed out shortly for some sequestrant to see if that helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.