Newbie needs help with TFTestKit

DebbieO

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 20, 2011
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hi everyone! Hoping everybody has a good holiday weekend. I have two quick questions & then I will test my water and post those if I need some advice. 1.) I wasn't thinking and tested my CH in the same tube that I tested my TA in. Is this a big NO NO? I did this 3 times and the third time my CH read very high. After reading the extended test kit directions it seems that the sample just has to turn any shade of blue. Is this correct? I can't believe that in 4 days my CH went from 182 to 500. I have been shocking the pool with Sodium Hypochlorite not Cal-Hypo. I then tested my TA again a couple days later (in the same tube) and that went from 100 to 300. Again, does the color just have to change to a light pink or does it have to be red? I did add 60 oz. of Borax to the water last Sunday to bring up the PH. Currently the PH is reading high because of the shock level and I need to add acid. Can you tell I'm a NEWBIE by now? I am testing all this with a TF100 test kit and I love the SpeedStir! 2.) Would it be OK to add stabilizer, in a sock, and place the sock in a floater? I do not use a floater for chlorine tabs, so no, I won't be combining the two. I would prefer not to put it in the skimmer because I have a tree line behind me and I don't want to have to pick off all the "yucks."

Ok, probably more than two questions. Any help/advice is much appreciated and thanks in advance. I am determined to stay out of the pool store from here on out.

Good morning, Debbie,

"No problemo" on all counts. :lol: The TA and CH test end when the addition of one more drop makes NO color change whatsoever. It really doesn't matter the intensity or what the colors are, it is simply when the color STOPS changing. Then subtract one drop form your count and that's your correct level.

Rinse all the tubes thoroughly with tap water in between testing.

Your CH did not change......something in your testing method did. I would suggest you do it one more time and post the results for us to see. Same with the TA.

When the R-0009 (in the TA test) is VERY fresh, it often develops some static electricity and sort of "jumps" off the dropper tip.....causing smaller drops and an inaccurate drop count. Try that test again and wipe the dropper tip with a damp cloth or damp paper towel every 2-4 drops.......that will cure that issue if it's happening to you.

DO NOT add acid just yet. It would be really very helpful to see ALL of your test results so we can help you more.

What was the pH BEFORE your started the shock process?

[Typing at the same time. Basically the same as what duraleigh wrote.]

It is fine to use the same measuring tube for both the TA and CH tests as long as you rinse it out thoroughly between tests.

On both the TA and CH tests, you add drops until the color starts changing, and then you continue adding drops as long as the color continues changing. The final drop, which does not change the color any further, does not count. The exact shade of color you get does not matter as long as it is in the correct color family, ie for red pink is fine, and for blue it can be royal blue or sky blue. But purple isn't valid for either test.

Try adding CYA by putting it in a sock and hanging the sock in front of a return jet.

It is not plausible that your levels changed that dramatically. So something is going on in your testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.