Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BUGS INVASION!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

BUGS INVASION!!!!

Okay, seriously I have about a billion ugly bugs swimming in the pool. They are horrible looking and they are huge (size of dime or bigger). What are these things and why have they taken over my pool??? I just got done brushing the pool and I probably killed about 20 of them. Since having my pool (about 7m) I noticed these small, alien like bugs in the pool with weird legs. But I never noticed there to be lots of them. Then about a month ago I started finding these huge bugs in the pool. At first it was one or two but it seems each day they multiply. And they are tricky little devils b/c once I go on my killing spree, they catch on and swim to the bottom of deep end. Can anyone fill me in on these creatures. Honestly have no desire to share a pool with them...they creep me out!
    ~Andrea

24,000 IG with spa and 4 ton waterfall. Equipment: Pentair 520 Clean & Clear, Pentair VS+SVRS Intelliflo, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP, Polairis Cleaner, Intellibrites, Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line Chlorinator, Pentair Easy touch 8 wireless and spa side remote.

2. Back To Top    #2

Could you post a pic?
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: BUGS INVASION!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andiejj
    Can anyone fill me in on these creatures!
    Are you sure they are not your kids???? Mine swim to the bottom as well when I show up. J/K. Some pictures would be helpful. If I had to guess, they probably look like ants with wings??? Am I close?
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

4. Back To Top    #4
    Did they look like these? I've had a few of one or the other. Sometimes I'll even see them in the pump strainer basket swimming around.

water boatman

backswimmer
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5
    Oh, and here's another. The water scavenger beetle, they get really big ~ 1 inch long and are really creepy (and fast!).

Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay, these bugs are horrible looking so I knew imm. they were not my kids since my kids are kinda cute .

I have some of the scavanger beatles - they are small in number and size
    The alien bugs I was talking about appear to be the backswimmer. They were skinny and light and color and they zoomed around the pool ~ They are really creepy too but hard to notice unless I had googles on.

So here are my pics. I had a hard time getting clear, upclose pics of them. They either hand out at the top or on the side. They are big. Okay, here goes:

<a></a>

<a></a>

<a></a>

<a></a>
    ~Andrea

24,000 IG with spa and 4 ton waterfall. Equipment: Pentair 520 Clean & Clear, Pentair VS+SVRS Intelliflo, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP, Polairis Cleaner, Intellibrites, Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line Chlorinator, Pentair Easy touch 8 wireless and spa side remote.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Yep, that's exactly what's in my pool, but I only have the occasional one. I remember seeing some discussion somewhere on TFP about adding borates (via borax) helps keep these bugs at bay.

Ah, here it is:
    Borax and Bugs
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Anyone know what type of bugs these are? Dave - thanks for thread but it was all a little complicated for me. If I use Borax then how??? Should I use MA to reduce my ph real low then put Borax in to boost ph back up? Or vice versa? And how long in between the two? SHould I try this to see if it gets rid of these bugs??? UGH!
    ~Andrea

9. Back To Top    #9
    Andrea,
    wow! I feel bad for you. Those pics that you and Dave posted were enough to give me the willies... I would hate to have an invasion of those gross things in my pool.
    I would personally do whatever it takes to keep the evil things at bay!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

10. Back To Top    #10
    Andrea,
    If you want to try and add borates, I would shoot for 40 ppm. In that case, you will need 10 boxes of 20 mule team borax (green box sold at Target, Wal-mart, most supermarkets in the laundry section). You will also need about three gallons of muriatic acid.

Put your intelliflow on speed 4 (high speed). Add 1 gal. MA. Then maybe 15 min later add half of the borax (5 boxes slowly into skimmer). I would do a round of brushing between each chemical.

Wait about 2 hours and check your pH and adjust accordingly. You'll proably need to add some MA.

Then I would wait a day or two and repeat, adding the last five boxes of borax and finally get your pH in check.

I just did this myself and I ordered some borate test strips from http://www.lambertshomeservices.com/ for $10 for 25 tests.

Hope this helps and good luck! Ask questions as needed !
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

So Dave,

At the risk of a thread hijack.... why did you decide to add the borates? If there's a thread where you discussed this that I missed... just point me the way....

thanks,
    steve
    18,000 gallon gunite free form, with spa, 4x160, EasyTouch, SWCG, Pentair cartr filter, Colorlogic lights.

12. Back To Top    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenbrla
    So Dave,

At the risk of a thread hijack.... why did you decide to add the borates? If there's a thread where you discussed this that I missed... just point me the way....

thanks,
    steve
    I added borates for the pH and TA stabilization properties that it offers as well as the algaecide and aforementioned "pesticide" benefits that I have read about on TFP over the last several months since I've been a member. It also seems to give the water an extra "sparkle".

If you do a search for "waterbear and borates" you'll get a lot of good info as waterbear, it seems, has done some extensive experimentation using borates.
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok, you got my heart racing. I have never added that many chemicals to my pool before and the thought makes me so nervous (and gosh darn it my numbers look great ). I will head to walmart and get some borax and start it tomorrow. Please tell me my pool will not blow up.
    ~Andrea

14. Back To Top    #14
    It's no big deal, very easy. Just take it slow and test a couple hours after everythings in and adjust as needed. Use Jasonlion's POOL CALCULATOR (if you don't already do so). Very helpful tool!

Also, If you want to do it in smaller steps, that's fine too (e.g. 2 boxes borax + half gal. MA per day for five days - don't have to be consecutive days either). The borates you put in do not go away unless there is water replacement (much like CYA and CH).

If you come up with more questions, just ask!
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

15. Back To Top    #15
    Adding borates is a fairly large project, requiring significant amounts of both borax and muriatic acid. Muriatic acid isn't the most fun thing to handle, particularly in large quantities. It probably will solve you insect problem, and provide other benefits as well, but I wouldn't undertake it lightly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Andiejj
    Ok, you got my heart racing. I have never added that many chemicals to my pool before and the thought makes me so nervous (and gosh darn it my numbers look great ). I will head to walmart and get some borax and start it tomorrow. Please tell me my pool will not blow up.
    For 3 years, I've always had water bugs. Not more than 10 big ones and a small school of the small ones at a time. I figured it was something that went along with a pool. Because of this site, I added the Borax (2 boxes a week) and MA. I didn't know it would keep the bugs away, but when i saw this thread i realized that i can not remember the last waterbug of any type in my pool in almost 2 months....the borax is the only thing i have in my pool that is different than it ever has been. just thought i'd let you know in case you're leaning toward not putting the borax. Now I'm worrying i put too much, i think i'll buy some test strips. Good Luck!
    dana
    danamomof8
    2005 - 20K gallon gunite, aquarite turbo cell SWG, 3-5-3.5 depth, pentair 60sq ft DE filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Any untoward effect from a Borate level that is too high?
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump

18. Back To Top    #18
    It depends on how high. The normal recommendation is 30-50 ppm. Levels up around 80 ppm aren't a problem. But if you got up to several hundred there might well be some issues.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

19. Back To Top    #19
    You also might want to keep your pets from drinking out of the pool if you raise the borate level. If the level gets high enough, it can harm your pet. I'm pretty sure I read that the level recommended (~50ppm) is right at or just below what some would consider safe for their pets, but all in all, I would probably just keep my critters out of the pool or away from the pool if I added borates.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

20. Back To Top    #20
    Andrea,
    Just curious as to the outcome.
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG