Solar Panel recommendation

Apr 2, 2007
Hello,

I am planning to install solar panels for my inground pool. Does anyone have any recommendations? Or
which ones to avoid? Seems like sungrabber is pretty popular judging from the posts that I have read.
How difficult was the installation? I have read the sungrabber manual and it doesn't look too bad. Reading
it is one thing but actually installing it is another. Thanks in advance.

Are you looking to do it yourself project or have them installed?

I am going with the installer since I am putting them on my roof. I wish to reduce my risks to water leaks. (Thus I am counting on the installer to do a great job...) Plus my house is two stories, I hate heights... :)

Rainman:

I installed my own solar panels. I would stay away from the sun grabber, they have a lower btu output them most and the Fafco 4 x 20 have the highest output of all Panels. They are easy as heck to install. I would highly recommend getting a solar controller. On days when I would normally not even think of turning the solar on, the sensors detect the water in the panels to be +4 above the pool and turns it on. Likewise for when we think its hot out and in reality we would be putting cooler water into the pool. You will find this an easy job if you are at all a DIY'r.

Rik

We have the Fafco Solar Bears and find them to be much better than the Sungrabbers we previously had. The Sungrabbers seemed to be more "brittle" and did not have the ability to adjust the flow inline - the Solar Bears do have that on each panel, they are of a much more pliable AND heavier material, came with better hardware as well. JMHO

Hi Rainman:

I bought mine from my local PB, but I will be adding one more this spring, bringing my total to 240 Sq Ft. I paid, now dont panic, its canadian $, 450 for mine, but with our strong canadian $ now, I will be going the online route an paying for shipping. I see the site you are on runs around $300...sounds like a good deal to me, I would go for the plus if you dont have a solar controller, if not, I would suggest one strongly. They are amazing at how they control the panels during even cloudy days.

Rik

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.