Need leveling help

May 27, 2011
Richardson, Texas
Hello all new member here. Forgive me if this has been discussed as I did a search but it said "level" was to common so nothing came up. I just purchased a Intex Ultra-frame 18x52 and I am having a heck of a time getting it perfectly level and was looking for some advice or easy tricks. I know nothing is easy though... :lol:

Let me give some information on what I have done up to this point. I removed all the sod and using a 2x4 with a level on the end spun it around and until it was level. So I set the pool up and once it was filled it was higher one on side then the other by 2 1/2 blocks. So I have drained it and taken it down and have graded down the high side to where it was level with the side where it was lower. I got a line level but it doesn't seem to be very accurate. So basically it is level on a horizontal plane just not vertical. So I have a slight incline that is throwing this off. I have watched several videos on YouTube and done everything it shows, but it seems the videos make it look easier then it is.

One other question, once I do get it level and it is tampered down it will have some imperfections like so very small low spots. My question is once I bring in the sand for the bottom should I worry about those small low spots here and there just as long as the ground overall is level? In theory I was thinking if I have it spread evenly at 1'-2" thick and level those won't matter much right? Last thing, how far off level can it be and still be ok? I am a perfectionist so I would like to get it perfect if I can. But It is also getting hot now and my impatiences of wanting to enjoy it is starting to take over.

-Thanks

Ok. Here is a trick you can try. If you get your center, you can use a 12' 2x4. Or something like this that is straight. Once you get close, put the board from the center to the outer ring. With a standard level on the board, you will get a good idea of what is level. Once this is done, sand is OK, but it will wash out over time. Corner Cove is a good alternative as well is a soft foam bottom such as 'Happy Bottom'. Once that is down, the small imperfections will not be noticed and the bottom will be pretty darn smooth. Don't expect the foam bottom to cushion the bottom though, once you put a few tons of water on it, it will compress down, but stil better than standard ground. Also, as long as you treated the ground for nutgrass before puting it down, less chance any grass will grow through the liner. Good luck, leveling is the most irritating part. But this should help you quite a bit. Also, once the ground is basically level, you can rotate the board around the axis to see how smooth it is.

Thanks for the input guys. I had found this video from this one ABG pool sales site and it really helped. It is pretty much dead on with the exception of this one area about 3' long where it is off by maybe 1/4" if that. Other then that it is dead on. I can live with that one small area being off. It's a lot better then being off by 2 1/2" for one whole side. We are just using this for this summer and getting a hard side for next spring. I am trying to rush and getting it done and everything landscaped for my daughters b-day and the kids being out for the summer. I will write back later when I have more time and I will explain what I did and post some pics. I had to work last night till 2 am and was up at 8:30 am work on it but it is filling nicely now but now I have to go back to work again tonight till 2 am. Man long day but it will be worth it! LoL

Just an update, I got it filled and I thought it may be off slightly like 1/8"-1/4" on one spot and in certain areas which is definitely no big deal to me at all because it is not noticeable unless you look for it. WAY better then it was before because it even looks level now. Then my brother-in-law noticed and pointed out the tile design is not perfectly uniform from the top so it wont look like it is perfectly level if you go by those tiles. So with that said, it is perfectly level with that taken into consideration.

So now my question is just how full does it need to be? Right now it is a 1-1/2" above the return or 1-1/2 -2 tiles from the top gray part.

-Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.