stain on vinyl liner

erinks

May 27, 2011
Help me! Have been doing pool care for 12 years and never encounter this problem.

I have a vinyl liner which developed a stain around a water outlet while the pool was drained for the winter. The color was a dark greenish brown with a slight yellow tint to it.. Started small around Christmas time, 1 sq ft, and then grew to two foot by four foot. Tried to use chlorine on it, a stain remover, vinegar, ph decreaser, all to no avail. Before filling, I took lip of the liner loose and looked behind but saw nothing on backside of liner or beneath the liner near the outlet involved. We are using Pristine Blue for the last year and a half, and have liked the ease of use, but a little expensive. When we filled the pool, the stain seemed to disappear on filling, but now, two weeks later, the liner surface is rough to the touch and when rubbed, the color and pattern on the vinyl rub off.

What do I do? The liner is only a year and half old, and is from In The Swim--anything any one knows about warranty on liners from them.

ER in KS

Welcome to TFP!

We really don't recommend using Pristine Blue. It adds copper to the water. Copper can form stains that are sometimes nearly impossible to remove from vinyl. Your stains sound like copper stains.

Yes, I follow the site admin on this one. not only does Pristine Blue add copper to the water, if you shock the pool with chlorine, it reacts with the copper and causes it to adhere to the wall. If you have already tried Oxalic Acid and it has done nothing (You can put some in an old sock and use a brush or something to hold it by the jet with the pool off) then there may not be a whole lot you can do. Yellow/brown stains can be casued by iron in the water too, so it may be both. Vinyl is printed, and unlike gunite, once it's messed up, you may be able to prevent it from getting worse, but it won't be the same. Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.