whats a good above ground spa, not sure what to call them

G

ok after a 10,000 estimate to attach an inground spillover spa in to my pool, i think im just going to buy a real one and have sit on my patio and build a deck around it. I think i might like this better because it has its own heater and pumps, and i can use it when the pool is closed, also i think the jets are better towards a massage. So can you guys reccommend a good one. :!:

Thanks In Advanced

Hi Rollin Thunder
I have a Tiger River hot tub and I have had it 6-7 years I think. (Time is flying buy) I Had 2 problems 1.broken lift strut for the cover that I replaced myself 2.broken diverter valve that i replaced myself both things very miner. Mine is a small tub (340 Gal) but just right for our needs. I found the tub I wanted built a solid deck about 3 feet bigger then the tub at ground Level. they installed the tub on that deck then I built the other deck at the level of the step in the tub. This made it very nice to get in and out but it also will leave you with a couple of feet of tub out the top of the deck. just the right hight to sit on. I cant say about other brands but I like mine and it is holding up well. Good luck in whatever you pick out we find the hot tub to be wonderful because the pool is closed for the winter. Nothing like a hot tub at night as it is snowing.
Good Luck
Ric W

Attachments

• generator.jpg
    generator.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 30
  • cell.jpg
    cell.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 30
im looking at a HOT SPRING spa, the filter system is strange but i like all the other features, a different pump for filtering so when you run the jets filtering does not suffer, really neat water feaures and the stereo. does anybody know the brand of hot tubs that has the pop up tvs and pop up speakers and gives you a 5.1 surround. I will post a pic of the area tommarrow when its day time to give every one an idea about what i want to do.

thanks for all the input. Is a stand alone spa a good decision then one by the pool?

Greetings--

We had a stand alone spa at the other house. We liked it because of its self contained design-- easier to keep the water balanced, temp control and better jets.

The down side was that one had to climb external and internal stairs to get in and out. We were occasionally a bit -- umm-- wobbley.

We have always liked our friends' ground level one due to easy of access.

We looked at adding an in ground one to our new house's pool-- wayyyy to costly !!
We'll look at a new stand alone unit here once we get settled and save up some cash-- man-- a new house is a money pit eh ? LOL

Piney said:
Greetings--

We had a stand alone spa at the other house. We liked it because of its self contained design-- easier to keep the water balanced, temp control and better jets.

The down side was that one had to climb external and internal stairs to get in and out. We were occasionally a bit -- umm-- wobbley.

We have always liked our friends' ground level one due to easy of access.

We looked at adding an in ground one to our new house's pool-- wayyyy to costly !!
We'll look at a new stand alone unit here once we get settled and save up some cash-- man-- a new house is a money pit eh ? LOL

il will say ever since we moved into this house its, lets add this, we want this, o i dont like that lets change it.

but i want to build a deck on the left hand patio and set the spa on the ground and have top of the spa even with the floor of the deck. I have plans, just need to know whats the best spa to drop in there.

Hot Spring spas are good. I bought mine second-hand, it's nearly 20 years old, and it still works. I would choose a portable hot-tub over an in-ground spa b/c they're more comfortable, with shaped seats, etc.

The filter system on my hot tub is a pain, but from what I've heard, that's been re-engineered. In mine, the filter compartment can only be accessed from inside the hot tub. So if the tub is full of water and you take out the carts to clean them, all the junk in the filter compartment floats out into the tub. Ick.

It's not perfect, but I think it's quite a testimonial that the equipment still works great after 20 years!!

To answer the person who asked about the pop up TV and speakers, I think it is made by Sundance. I know they have pop up speakers for a stereo on their spas.

I also have a Sundace, it is their Optima series and is a '97 The only thing I had to fix was a plumbing leak, (I bought it that way it had leaks and I bought it for 600.00 and fixed it for about 100.00 more.I think the previous owners let it freeze thats why the 2 leaks in it) the #1-2 speed pump went out last year and I sent it in to get fixed and bought another one for cheap on ebay. Thats the only problems I have had with mine. The pump to be redone cost me about $80.00 to have it repaired.

When I bought it from the dealer he said the same spa new in their store would be around $8000.00 so I think I got a good deal! LOL

If you put your spa on a cement pad make sure it is thick enough to support he weight. Mine is a 450 gallon spa and I poured a 5" thick pad for it. The minimum pad thickness is 4" so if your pad is less than 4" thick Id pour a thicker pad that will hold all the weight.

Brian

The Sundance Maxxus Hot Tub comes with a titanium heater which is awesome for keeping the temperature even while your in the tub (we had a hot tub in our old house, model forgotten, where you would set the temperature for 102° and it would inevitably drop to 100° by the time 15 or 20 minutes had passed). Thankfully, this is not the case with the Maxxus.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.