Equating 6% bleach with 48% Hypo Clor

jaybee

May 19, 2008
Des Moines, IA
My chemistry looks really good this Spring, but I do have a question about alternate forms of Chlorine. What's the math for equivalence between 6% bleach and 48% Hypo Clor? If we have our math right it actually looks pretty competitive. That surprises me as I've used BBB exclusively for multiple years.

You mean 48% cal-hypo right? Not sure about the $$ differences, but what is it worth to not be increasing your CH with every addition?
As long as you understand what else you are adding with your FC and watch ALL your pool levels it could be fine in the short run.

Maybe that is less important if you have a vinyl pool and plan to drain every so often I guess.

ETA: if you look at the bottom of www.poolcalculator.com you can see what adding a certain product will do to your pool levels (make sure the size is set correctly)

Yes, my bad on the product description. You have a point about the CH. It's an above ground that is partially buried so I drain it about halfway each Winter. Once I got the water dialed in well I've been amazed at how little I have to monkey with it. Maybe it's better not to change something that's working.

In some parts of the country, Cal-Hypo pricing is close to that of chlorinating liquid or bleach. This thread has old prices but Cal-Hypo is closest and depends on where you buy it. Of course, Cal-Hypo increases CH where for every 10 ppm FC it increases CH by at least 7 ppm, so just be aware of that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.