1. store: TDS 100
CYA 18
Tot.Chlorine 10
Free chlorine 0
pH 7.3
Total Alk 128
Adj Total Alk 123
Total Hardness 208
This is a Bioguard test but only with strips.
2. store
TDS 1150
CYA 0
Tot Chlorine 8
Free Chlorine 3
pH 8.2
Total Alk 139
Adj Total Alk 139
Total Hardness 188
This is also a Bioguard test but with drops.
The lady there just changed the Free Chlorine on the printout to 8 and told me to disregard the 14 bags of shock it recommended because she felt that that result was not right.
Needless to say they wanted me to buy a whole bunch of stuff as always and this time I just had enough. Now I need help how to get started with the BBB method.
I have a 24 round ABG with a sandfilter.

Thanks A.

Best thing to do to get started is to order one of the test kits recommended here. You see how far off those two results are! I'd start out working with the numbers from the drop test. Gonna need to get some CYA in there and raise your FC accordingly. I'd get that PH down first with some muriatic acid. See Chlorine /CYA chart in pool school. Read everything there twice then let us know what you need. Is the water clear or green, any algae growing etc.? Add a sig line in your profile like mine below to tell us about your pool and equipment. Welcome!

Wow.. those tests are very different, and the fact that the lady at the second store didn't think the result was correct just goes to show you that you can't always trust them.

Shows you just how important it is to get your own good quality test kit and monitor it yourself. Then you know you've done it the same way every time and with a good kit. The test kit is a minor expense compared to what the pool stores will charge you to try and fix the problems they see with the levels they are getting.

Get yourself a kit and some CYA started and some chlorine as per the pool calculator. Keep in mind that when adding CYA that it won't show up until up to a full week on your tests and if you backwash your filter you will lose some of it.

Your TA is high in both readings, so get yourself some muriatic acid and some aeration going to work on getting it down to the recommended levels for your type of pool (check the pool school for levels)

I have a Bioguard kit to test FC and pH and I ordered a Taylor testkit but will not get it til Tuesday
I will get started with the myriatic acid, the CYA and chlorine.
Thanks for the quick answers, I will let you all know how it goes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.