First Pool Numbers

OK not sure if this came out right because the numbers look a bit skewed (and I'm a pool noob) but going to post them here for any and all advice.

New INTEX 14ft Round above ground pool 42 inches deep. Using an SWG and a 637R pump. Started with about 60lbs of salt and ran the pump for 24 hours. The in the second 24 we ran the SWG for 6 hours. We did have a power outage and I noticed that resets the SWG and it starts running again with the time set so it may have run a few extra hours over the last couple of days.

Here are my test results using the TF-100 test kit

My Cl Br tested at 3 6
FC 3
CC 1.5
TC 4.5
pH 7.8
T/A 225
CH 150
CYA 100
Temp - Not sure yet but just purchased a thermometer so should know in a few hours. It's in the 80s but not exactly sure.

OK here is what I found strange, the T/A test I did a few times and didn't get a result so I did the scaled down test (10ml) and got it to change but this number seems a bit high.

The CYA number also seems a bit high too although it is warm here (90 degrees +) so maybe that's why it is high. I used the Pool Calc to the best of my ability and it seems like I need to add fresh water although maybe it's just because we have only had the pool up a few days and things needs to become more stable?

Water is clear and looks good.

Any advice would be welcome and I will also keep reading to see what I can figure out :)

Thanks in advance for any posts

CYA is very high. Are you sure you are doing the CYA test correctly? The view tube should be viewed din direct sunlight with your back to the sun so your body shades the tube. The black dot should completely disappear, so that you can't even tell it was ever there even after staring at it for a couple of seconds.

You will want to bring down TA, but wait until CYA is dealt with and CC has gone down before worrying about that.

Your FC level is way too low for that CYA level. You should raise FC up to about 10, and if CC doesn't come down to 0l.5 or lower in 24 hours you will need to shock.

RobbieH said:
Your FC is too low and that CC number says you may have algae because of it. How's the water look?

Looks clear but has only been in the pool now about 5-6 days.

FishBowlPhoto_resized_749.jpg

The number could very well be from my lack of testing experience although I am trying to follow the directions as much to the letter as I can. I will try the CYA test again in a little bit and see if I get different results. It took me a few minutes after I mixed before I could do the test as I didn't know I had to poke a hole in the top of the bottle :)

I will test again in an hour or so and see if my results are any different.

JasonLion said:
You can pour the sample into the view tube, get a number, pour it back into the mixing bottle, and repeat a couple of times to build up your confidence about what number you are getting.

Good tip!

I did this 3 times and all 3 I lost the dot right at 90.

Also seems the water temp is 88 after having the thermometer in for a while.

Hey, Etouffee,

Welcome to the forum :lol: Sounds like you're doing well on testing. With your CYA around 90, I would suggest you drain and refill about 25% of your pool....that'll get your CYA around 70ppm and just about ideal for an SWG pool.

Prior to doing that, run the FC and CC tests again (and post your results) and see if you still have the 1.5 cc's. That's the most troublesome issue but let's make sure it wasn't a testing error.

So, while we wait on that test result....

1. the Cl Br result you got is called the OTO chlorine test. the Br is for a bromine pool and you'll never use it so just report it as Cl. Reread the prpose of that test in the kit instructions.

2. With an SWG pool and 70 CYA, 3-5ppm will be a good spot for your FC

3. I would completely disregard T/A until you get your CYA lower and the FC brought up a little

4. Your water looks nice but the cc's of 1.5 (if they are still there when you retest) will likely get a suggestion to shock your pool. Let's wait for the results before doing but it would be a good idea to read "How to Shock your Pool" up in Pool School.

Thanks duraleigh!

I will run the tests again in the morning (wore smack out right now) and post the results. If needed we can pull some water out. We put the water in on Saturday and Sunday of last weekend and we didn't get the SWG in and hooked up until Tuesday so maybe that delay caused us a problem.

I appreciate everyone being so helpful around here. Really does take a lot of the anxiety out of owning a pool.

Also something of note, just over the skimmer the water has started to develop a white film? Not sure whats going on there but maybe the pool is trying to tell me something :)

Also something of note, just over the skimmer the water has started to develop a white film?
Probably nothing to worry about. If it's still there tomorrow AM and bugging you, pour in (all at once) a large jug of Clorox,,,,,,that'll likely get rid of it in a few hours. However, it may be related to that 1.5CC's test result, too. We'll see.

Here in NC, we get "wore slam out"....where do you live to get "wore smack out"? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gotta love that hubby of mine (Etouffee) and he's trying really hard to get this right for us. Thanks to all for the help.. he's still "worn smack out" so as soon as he wakes up, he'll get right to the details listed. :whoot:

Kathy aka Sisterjane
New Iberia, LA

duraleigh said:
Prior to doing that, run the FC and CC tests again (and post your results) and see if you still have the 1.5 cc's. That's the most troublesome issue but let's make sure it wasn't a testing error.
Ok
FC is now 1.5
CC is now 1

I am using heaping spoonful (little blue spoon provided in kit) of R-0870 but not sure my heaping is heaping enough. I fill the spoon and make sure it's more then just full. Is that how it's done?

Exactly how high you fill the little spoon doesn't make a large difference unless your FC level is quite high. The higher FC is, the more important it is to use enough powder. If the sample turns pink and then goes back to clear, or turns brown, add more powder.

Yep, as long as the solution turn pink, you have used enough.....you can even try it with less if you like. If it flashes pink and then goes clear, you will have to use a little more. I typically can get by with partial "heaping" but not overly so

That said, please use it generously if you can, it really helps my beer money fund!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

LOL thanks guys!

We did run the SWG another 6 hours yesterday hoping that would help but guess it didn't. Next step is to drain some of the poll and refill? Maybe add more salt?

Whats my next step?

Ohh and I referred a buddy of mine to the site so he maybe providing you will more beer money...err an order for a testing kit soon!

Next step is to drain some of the poll and refill?
Yeah, I would go ahead and get it over with. The drain is pretty easy to calculate....if your CYA is 100 and you want 50, you would drain 50% of your pool. In your case, drain 2/9th's of your pool (currently 90 down to 70). Obviously you don't have to be that precise but you get the idea.

Thank you for the referral.

Don't be discouraged if he doesn't take your advice. It is surprisingly difficult to get friends to convert. However, he will secretly admire your pristine pool water! :lol: :lol:

Ditto what Jason said on the shock. I would suggest you drain and refill first....keeping your FC up where it is now while you do.

While that is going on, another question. The pool calc said that to go from 1.5 to 4 it would only take 24oz of Clorox to hit target. That doesn't seem like a lot in the scheme of things but is that correct? and to shock the pool my guess is that you have to do testing 2-3 times a day and continue to add what it tells you between the reading and the target?

Oh and is there an Android app? Iphones are so 2010 :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.