Best way to run sand with DE on start up?????

May 19, 2010
Central NJ
Hi all,

FC 13+
alk 90
cya 30
ph 12 + ( I was told here its normal during shocking)

I am in the final stages of pool clean up. Opened the pool and it was green. I am down to a cloudy pool.

Here are my questions or concerns.

When I backwash the filter I start at 12 PSI. I add about 1/2 cup DE and pressure rise is about a 1 psi. Then within 1 hour (possibly less) the psi gets up to 20 psi. Thats 8 psi higher. I should backwash and add more de and keep doing the same thing? I assume this is good since its collecting all the finer stuff that is making the pool cloundy?

Now what I was thinking, because I need to reduce my electric usage, is add the de(possible 1/4 instead of 1/2 cup and run the pump on low speed. I figure low speed will filter better and save me alot in electric. 11 amps compared to 2.9 amps.

I want the pool ready by Monday though but possibly low speed is better then high?

Any thoughts?

No the pressure does not go up as rapidly. Might take all day to get to 18 psi. Then it just seems to sit there. Thats why I think my pump may be pushing right through when it gets to a point. (Oversized for the filter) Not sure if that makes sense.

Thats why I started addeing DE. The cloudy water is too fine for the sand alone to catch and I am wasting electric just running the pump on high alone.

RobbieH said:
If you are getting that much pressure in one day, my opinion is to hold off on the DE until sand alone stabilizes and you just want to refine the water quality.

What do you mean? If I have a cloudy pool and I go from 12psi to 18psi in one day without de is normal? Wouldnt the DE clean the pool faster? And how about low vs high speed?

It seems uncommon to me to raise 6psi in one day unless your pool is extremely dirty. Maybe someone with direct experience with that exact filter can chime in. Mine goes weeks without creeping up but a few psi unless something's happened like a major pollen outbreak, having to shock the pool, etc.

While the pool is obviously cloudy running on high speed will clean up the pool more quickly, because more water will pass through the filter. Once the water is almost perfect, running on low speed will do the best job because the filter catches more stuff on low speed, even though it takes longer to filter all the water.

Adding just a little DE, as you have been doing, speeds things up, but it does mean more backwashing.

RobbieH, the pool is cloudy with dead algae. There is plenty of stuff that can fill up the filter quickly. Things will be very different when the water is clear.

I dont mind backwashing a sand filter....LOL Its better then the cart I had.

So the consensus is run at highspeed until clear, and adding DE will speed the process. Of course with possibly very frequent backwashing.

And if I do the same on low speed it will take longer to clear up, even though it filters better? Yes I understand 80gpm highspeed vs 20 gpm low.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So the consensus is run at highspeed until clear, and adding DE will speed the process.
I'm splitting fine hairs just a little but I wouldn't do the DE until your pool was virtually clear. The pump SHOULD be running 24/7 during this period and, if the pump plugs the DE laden sand and slows the flow all night, you will have lost ANY advantage in speed because your filter does not work when it is plugged.

Either way will work but I believe it may clean faster in this case with sand alone.

OK. Yes I seem to be having issues with DE. I am going to backwash later tonight and run on high all night. The pool just seems to be stuck at this white cloud stage. It does not seem to be clearing.

I vacuumed just a few minutes ago, and did not backwash before I started. A light layer of slight foam, or suds appeared at the surface. Possibly the DE.

I water the test down half tap half pool. 6200 gal I add 1 1/2 gall of bleach for about a 13 chloine. If its a 5 ppm I double and assume its a 10, and add half a gallon to bring back up to 13-14.

I started Tuesday and went through about 18 gallons so far. $1.50 a gallon. Trying to keep level up.

Alk is good at 90.

PH Was real high. The pool did get down to a 5 FC and the PH tested at 7.2. But while shocking its up past 12.

The PH will read false high while the FC level is high.

You need to use chlorine free water for dilution when doing a chlorine test. Most tap water has chlorine in it, though many people with wells don't have any chlorine. If you have any doubts, do the chlorine test on straight tap water to be sure it is chlorine free before using it for dilution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.