Solar Heater and Plaster Mottling

Oct 11, 2007
Hi,
Im new to TFP and didnt see a section for In groung pools so I figured I'd post my question here.

At the beginning of this pool season I had my gunite pool replastered your basic white color. I also installed a solar heater at the same time. I did not run the solar heater until about a month, maybe longer, after the replaster was finished to allow for curing. I noticed about mid summer that my plaster is now mottled and, to me, looks bad. I know some mottling is going to occur but on cloudy days it really stands out.

The company that did the plaster job doesnt think it looks that bad and is suggesting that it may have resulted from the solar heater - possibly something in the heater grids itself. We have tried an acid bath (shutting down the system and adding muriatic acid) and they also tried a new product (dont know what this was). Neither made any difference.

They suggest waiting another season before we try anything else.

Has anyone heard of a solar heater causing this or knows if this is possible?

Thanks!

Plaster mottles. As far as I know there is not much you can do about it. The higher water temps may have accelerated the process but I doubt it. I have solar and mine did not start to mottle until the second year and it really is not that bad. I think it has more to do with the installation, product and pool chemistry than anything else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.