Refilling pool after drain (CYA way too high)

kathyo

May 24, 2011
Farmers Branch, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I had to drain my pool because my CYA was way over 200! This experience taught me about this site and to never trust a pool store again. It is a few hours away from being filled and the pump started again. The water here in Dallas is very alkaline. I need to get everything balanced, but don't know what to do first and would appreciate some advice.

FC - 0
pH - 8
TA - 50

Thanks.

I had to drain at least 75% of the water, so we decided to drain almost all of it since we had rented the pump and had just done a drain & refill 18 months ago because of calcium. We got in trouble again because we used the Leslie's chlorine (w/ CYA).

So I add the acid first to reduce pH. Can I add the bleach right after that? Or do I need to wait?

thanks.

I would suggest doing it in this sequence....

1. Lower pH with acid....pump running 24/7 during this entire process

2. One hour later, Do a CYA test and a pH test to check where you are.

3. Then, dose the pool with chlorine according to the FC/CYA chart.....20% or so higher won't hurt a thing for this first go round.

4. If necessary, adjust your CYA to around 50 and then keep your chlorine in the 4-6 range based on the FC/CYA relationship chart.

Thanks. I did the acid and it is now back to 7.4. CYA is 0 (since I it is full of city tap water now). I'll have to get some CYA tomorrow to bring it up. It seems strange to add CYA after having to drain due to too much. For tonight, I put in some of the Leslie's tabs that I have that have stabilizer in them. I'll run it all night and test again in the morning. Thanks for your help. This forum is a god-send.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.