question on flow rates and proper pump size..run times etc..

Mar 11, 2008
I currently have a 21 foot ab pool....had it installed in 2006. I have I believe a 21 inch sand filter and a 1hp pump.... im trying to figure out the the turnover rate of the pump and filter.... the pump itself says 60gpm(1hp)..the filter says filter rate is 25gm and design rate is 45gpm. im alittle confused, wouldnt the pump be too big then for the filter? all the pool shops sell 21 inch filters with the 1hp pump.. now how do i figure out what gpm im pushing? is it the 60gpm that the pump list, or is the 25gpm that is on the filter? im just trying to calculate the number of hrs to turnover the pool water twice on my pool....once again, 21 foot ab, i believe around 10,500 gallons or so..thanks, Pete

Re: question on flow rates and proper pump size..run times e

Tell us your filter pressure and your suction head if you know it. If not then describe your plumbing to us. That'll get us started helping you figure it out. We'll also need the model of the pump.

oh boy, no idea on pressure.. i will give the model of pump and filter, pump is a haywood powerflo LX 1hp... the filter is a hayward dreamline model S190TSCP.. I have the input hose and output hose both around 4 feet long..no other equipment

If you look in the pumping section you'll find Mark's sticky that includes the spreadsheet to figure out flow using several different parameters.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.