Floc HELP

Tests today showed. a loss of 2.5 chlorine overnight. (I tested at 7:30) I will try to get earlier with that.
Also CYA is still about 28.
Keeping Chlorine over 12
CC 0.5
I am going to add trichlor tabs today to get my cya a little higher for a full sun pool. Not sure where to keep the cya for a full sun, but I was adding way to much chlorine for shocking when it was CYA of 65.
getting expensive. Still not clear, but I am hopeful. I do think the DE may help with the smaller particles as well as vacuuming more...

Bring your cya level up slowly. Two things to keep in mind with regard to cya - the test has a + or - of at least 15. So you could be up to 43 or down to 13. Because the only way you loose cya is through water drain or splashout it is probably not that low. You probably have at least your calculated amount. I would think a cya of 40-50 would be about right. What I would do is use the trichlor (as long as it doesn't have copper), but sparingly giving time for cya to show up in my tests. Kind of ease up on the target number watching my chlorine usage during the day. When that stabilizes at a number I could live with I would stop adding cya. One other thing to do if the pool is still not clear is to raise your shock level that you are maintaining. Your using the calculated amount of 12, but you can increase this by about 5 without doing damage to your pool, so try shocking at 17 for awhile and see if that will not get you clear. I feel like your very close. Also don't forget the DE in the sand filter so it filters better.

I see it! I see it! Yesterday it was clear! Now tonight I will be doing the overnight test...which has past already a few days ago.
FC 18
CC 0
pH 8.2
T/A 230
CYA less than 20
I do have questions about the recommended levels now. I will plug the numbers into the calculator about the above to add murianic acid etc for other things needed. But the TA level says 90+ for a goal....my TA seems extremely high. CYA for a full sun pool should be what? Also stabilizer is now needed and I am not sure why my CYA is continuing to drop (seems quickly). How often will I need to add stabilizer, if I am only using chlorine bleach and not trichlor or dichlor?
Also, anyone know how to get stains off the bottom? The weight for the vacuum evidently was sitting on the bottom this whole 4 or more years and left a lovely stain.
Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to have more POP :)
I am finally clear!

Congratulations. I will try to answer some of your questions.
1. My high PH? When FC is above 10 your PH readings are inaccurate on the high side. So don't assume it is actually 8.2. You may want to just bring it down to 7.8 so you do not go too low. As the FC naturally comes down the PH reading will become more accurate and you can start believing the number.
2. My TA is high? After your FC comes down below 10 you have two choices to get your TA down. You can do it fast by dropping the PH to 7.2 with MA and aerating or slowly by keeping the PH down around 7.5. If you do the latter the PH will rise and each time you bring it down the TA will come down slowly.
3. Why did I loose CYA? You may have lost CYA to splash-out or vacuuming to waste, but be aware that the test has a plus or minus of 15. So your CYA can be anywhere within about a 30 point range. Repeat the test in mid afternoon sun and see what you get. You can always pour the solution back in the bottle and repeat it several times until you are satisfied you are getting a consistent number. If you know how much stabilizer you have added you can calculate what the number should be and assume that is what it is. You can also note how much FC you are loosing each day and if it is too much add more stabilizer as time goes on.
4. How much CYA should an outdoor pool have? I have about 40ppm and that works for me. Others may give your a better answer.
5. The vacuum left a stain on the bottom? What kind of stain rust or something else. Maybe you can post a picture and some of the experts here can help you.

I hope you pass the overnight test. If you do you can stop shocking and let the FC fall to normal levels.

does anyone know about the greener murianic acid from Lowes? I am trying to use it, but it doesn't list a % number to use from the pool calculator. There are different types of murianic to choose from on the calculator. We have been adding acid by the default choice, but it doesn't seem to be bringing the pH down. pH is at 8.2 on 7100 gal. Pool with no other problems and beautifully clear! :)

The "green" muriatic acid products are lower concentrations, often around 20%, with additives to reduce the amount of fumes.

The PH test can't measure PH above 8.2, so the PH could well be coming down, it is just still above 8.2. Add more acid, give it 30 minutes to mix in, test again, and repeat as needed until the PH comes down to something more reasonable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.