Floc HELP

I apologize if I am asking questions you have already answered.

What does your water look like today?
What is the current CYA?
Did you use the Pool Calculator to determine how much water to replace?

One other thing which would be helpful to us is to put a description of your pool (type, material, size, equipment) in your signature. This can be done by editing your profile. While you there if you can put your location in this is sometimes helpful to know.

After I drained and refilled I would run the pump for about an hour and then I would measure my CYA. If it was still too high I would plug the numbers into the Pool Calculator and drain and refill the amount it suggests. When I got the CYA at my target level then I would plug the CYA and FC into the Pool Calculator and determine my shock level and then add enough bleach to bring it to shock level, run the filter 24/7 and tomorrow when I was home all day make sure it stayed at shock level. To do this I would test my FC about every hour until it started holding and then I would extend the time between tests by about 30 min or longer depending on whether the FC was still holding until it started going down. Then I bring it back to shock level. My goal would be to keep it at shock level all day. Doing that along with brushing often and vacuuming any debris that was on the bottom will go a long way toward getting the pool clear either tomorrow or early next week. With the CYA at the correct level it will be easy to keep enough chlorine in the water to keep it clear and sanitary.

Pool filled.
found actuall gallons are only 7100 with an 18' round 45" deep.
CYA 42 :)
pH 7.5
FC 9.5
CC 1
TA 190
CH 190
Should I worry about the TA now? Shock level is now only 17 :) not in the 30's. Such a good feeling.
I will continue to check levels. While filling pool green tinge came back.
I could visually see a cloudy 1 ft down though, until I brush the pool. Hopefully filter will work tonight. Pressure is rising. So doesn't that mean it is working properly?
Still procrastinating on the spider gasket, but if no improvement tomorrow morning...that is my last option.

If your filter is working properly then I would not worry about the spider gasket. It is just one of the few things on that filter that get's messed up sometimes and it will cause problems with the filter. Maintaining the shock level, brushing, vacuuming to waste, and back-washing when the PSI rises by 8-10 will get your pool clear in the shortest amount of time.

fourofsmith said:
Pool filled.
found actuall gallons are only 7100 with an 18' round 45" deep.
CYA 42 :)
pH 7.5
FC 9.5
CC 1
TA 190
CH 190
Should I worry about the TA now? Shock level is now only 17 :) not in the 30's. Such a good feeling.
I will continue to check levels. While filling pool green tinge came back.
I could visually see a cloudy 1 ft down though, until I brush the pool. Hopefully filter will work tonight. Pressure is rising. So doesn't that mean it is working properly?
Still procrastinating on the spider gasket, but if no improvement tomorrow morning...that is my last option.
Your CC is getting low which is a sign you're almost there. Once everything is oxidized you just have to wait for the filter to get it all out of the water.

If after a few days there's still a haze to the water I'd check the gasket. It's fast and painless. Put a mark on both the top and bottom parts so you can put it back the way it was. Then remove the 6 screws, pull the top off and take a look down inside. It shouldn't take any more than 5 minutes.

Don't do what I did. I let the pump run for weeks with a bad gasket. This was basically a waste of electricity and even worse a waste of time because much of the water was not even going through the filter.

It's nice to have the peace of mind knowing that your equipment is working properly then you can concentrate on the chemistry.

Trying to take off cover of sand pump. Do I take the handle off first? there is a handle pin. Do I just push it in? Screws were easy to unscrew, but top seems vacuumed on still. What position should the handle be in etc. Don't have the ability to force things to work. Any ideas?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
fourofsmith said:
None :) It rises about 4 or 5 and that's it. the color is beautiful. If I could only get below a CC of 1 and clear!

I wouldn't backwash until you get 10psi above just backwashed pressure. Also, make sure your return is pointed downward.

Tried to move the return the other day. It doesn't want to move. I did vacuum yesterday. Got a handful of leaves, but that's it. Keeping chlorine levels at shock. pH went near 8 so added murianic acid. More testing later today.

How does the water look today? Getting all the decaying organic material,i.e. leaves, sticks, dead animals, etc., will cut down on what the chlorine has to do and thus will speed up the process. Since you vacuumed yesterday and only got a few leaves I would suggest going over the pool with a brush or net to be sure there is nothing in it too big for the vacuum. In my pool the leaves and twigs are usually too big for my vacuum so I use a leaf gulper in addition to the vacuum. Vacuuming to waste, brushing, getting any decaying organics out, running the filter 24/7, and maintaining it at shock level or a little higher this weekend and I would expect marked improvement.

Water is still the same. I have found the return is toward the top of the water. Pushing return water to the other side of the pool. I am not able to change its direction at this time. Is this my possible cause for poor circulation and therefore cloudyness on the bottom. I can see approx. 15 inches down (not completely clear), but there is still another 30 inches I can't see! Can I manually help with circulation somehow? As much shocking as we have done can we just get in the cloudy pool and help it move around?

FC went down to 6 today. Back upto shock level now.
pH7.5
CYA 30? (just on a whim thought I would check it. Why is it so different from about a week ago?) I haven't added water again.
TA 220
Still not clearing. Found I can see about 23 inches down, but not clear. Pool is a total of 45 inches deep.
Any other possible things to do? Help also with circulation questions above.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.