Spicy Dill Pickle Recipe...Super Crunchy!

JJSeabrook

LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2011
This isn't for outdoor cookin, but it could be for outdoor eatin with BBQ. LOL Great pickle recipe I thought I'd share. My family has used this recipe for decades.

You may be raising pickling cucumbers or you can go to your local farmers market and get some. If you're going to go to the farmers market, I recommend just going by there and telling them how many cucumbers you want and that you want them no more than 3 - 4 inches long and that way you will be sure to get them freshly picked. You don't want to use shriveled cukes for pickles.

I like to use pickling cucumbers that are about 2 - 4 inches long. Just buy as many as you think you want to can. LOL Wash your cucumbers well then put them in the sink with water and a whole lot of ice. You want to get those babies freezing cold.

BRINE:
3 Quarts of water
1 Quart of Vinegar \(5% acidity)
1 cup of salt (non-iodized)

Bring brine to a boil and have it boiling hot when you pour it into your jars. You can mix more at a time, just double or triple the ingredients.

JARS:
I like to use wide-mouth jars because they're easier to stuff. Sterilize them in boiling water.

LIDS:
Just follow the instructions on the box.

OTHER INGREDIENTS:

1/2 teaspoon alum (put this in last before pouring in the brine)
1 teaspoon dill (or if you have fresh dill you can put a pretty good size sprig in the with the seeds on it, which is better)
Garlic pods...I usually put 4 or 5 in there
1 Jalapeno (cut it in half lengthwise for spicier pickles)...obviously, you add another jalapeno or two if you want.
1 fresh Grape leaf, if you have one. If not, don't worry about it. I've made it without them and not a lot of difference.

STUFFING THE JARS:
Put the dill, garlic & jalapeno in the bottom of the jar. Stuff the cucumbers in there as tightly, and quickly, as you can. You want them ice cold when you pour the boiling brine over the top of them. Put the alum on top. Pour in the boiling brine and fill it to 1/4 inch from the top of the jar. Put your lids on the jar and screw your lid rings on.

PROCESS:
Process the jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes and it's all over but the waiting.

Sit the jars of pickles on a shelf and wait for at least 3 weeks. VIOLA! You have some Excellent, super crispy, spicy, dill pickles that will keep for years, although they won't last that long. I normally put up about 60 quarts and get it done for the year.

JJ :cheers:

I've been looking for a good spicy pickle recipe. My wife makes her wonderful Bread & Butter pickles each year, but now we have a surplus. We have 10 cucumber plants in our garden, so we will have plenty of cukes. I look forward to trying this recipe. Thanks for posting... I wonder if you can use solar salt????????

Hi, I have a question. I have never canned anything, (always wanted to try) and I was wondering do you not have to process in boiling water after you have placed ingredients in your jars? I thought that was what you did for these type foods to prevent botulism. Thanks for any input! They sound delish!

icfbuild said:
I've been looking for a good spicy pickle recipe. My wife makes her wonderful Bread & Butter pickles each year, but now we have a surplus. We have 10 cucumber plants in our garden, so we will have plenty of cukes. I look forward to trying this recipe. Thanks for posting... I wonder if you can use solar salt????????

Never used solar salt so I don't know. I use canning salt. Don't know what the difference is so can't help on that.

JJ :-D

Coastal Carolina said:
Hi, I have a question. I have never canned anything, (always wanted to try) and I was wondering do you not have to process in boiling water after you have placed ingredients in your jars? I thought that was what you did for these type foods to prevent botulism. Thanks for any input! They sound delish!

Thank you for catching that. I added processing in boiling water for 10 minutes. I just typed it out from memory and forgot to put that in there.

It's really easy to can pickles. Just be sure those cukes are fresh and Ice cold and that the brine is boiling hot when you pour it over them. That'll lock in the crispiness.

JJ

Canning salt is used because of its purity. Any other salt has anti-caking additives which will make the brine cloudy after a while and give the pickles an odd color.

Botulism toxin (Clostridium botulinum) can appear in non-acidic canned goods. Acidic products are generally safe.

JJ, thanks a ton for the tip on chilling the cukes to near freezing!

AnnaK said:
Canning salt is used because of its purity. Any other salt has anti-caking additives which will make the brine cloudy after a while and give the pickles an odd color.

Botulism toxin (Clostridium botulinum) can appear in non-acidic canned goods. Acidic products are generally safe.

JJ, thanks a ton for the tip on chilling the cukes to near freezing!

You're welcome! Let me know how they turn out.

The recipe is simple so there's really not much room for error...although I did one time. I put a quart of salt in instead of a cup. Packed my jars nice and full. Looked at'em sittin on the counter after I'd capped them, and there was only about a half jar of cukes in the jars... and what was in there looked like your fingers after you been in the pool for several hours. LMAO :hammer: Felt pretty stupid.

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend!

JJ

National Center for Home Food Preservation (website) is an awesome place to scout for canning recipes. All the safety info you need is explained in great detail, plus tested recipes. They explain when you should use a water bath canner and when you must use a pressure canner (according to the acidity of the food.)

I pickle spicy green beans as well as dill pickles.....OMG! so good!

These are the only pickles i've ever liked....

photo-1_zps21d85853.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.