Help!! On replacing filter and pump

westc

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2011
Abilene, KS
I currently have an old old Pac Fab Superflow sand filter (off top of my head can't remember whether its a 35 or 50). I am looking to replace the filter and the pump as its becoming very hard to keep the filter cobbled together. What is recommended to be the best sand filter to use? What about a pump? What size? The pool is approx. 27,000 gallons. The filter and pump also sits about 6 feet higher in elevation that the skimmer on the pool. It is often dificult to get a prime on it and get it going. Is there a good source for these things or is it just as reasonable (price) to purchase from a pool store.

***NOTE: I have to use a sidemount control valve....not enough height clearance!!

Also, when I purchased the house with the pool, the servicing pool store recommended that I keep the pump running 24/7 during the season. Does this sound correct or maybe just because it may be undersized? Pool Store says "everyone in this area runs the pump 24/7". With it being so difficult to get a prime even after only shutting down for a few minutes, I can't imagine putting it on a timer or turning off daily... Any and all advice is VERY appreciated!!

I'd recommend the Pentair Triton II and a Whisperflo 2-speed pump. Either the TR-60 or TR-80 and the WFDS-4 or WFDS-26 pump.

Running your pump 24/7 is probably overkill and if your current pump is a single speed it's definitely overkill.

No leaks anywhere that I can find. Once primed, the pump and filter runs fine...water level in pool doesn't drop either. I'm thinking its because the pump is so far from the skimmer and main drain and sits so much higher than either of them.??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.