Pool opening levels - do I need to raise TA?

garyb

Jun 15, 2009
Just took the cover off my 18 x 38 above ground pool a few days ago and everything is up and running. Here are the levels, according to local dealer test kit.
CYA: 30
TC: 3.9
FC: 3.1
pH: 7.6
TA: 98
Adj. TA: 89
The temp is probably in the low 60s.

They are suggesting I raise my total alkalinity into the 125-150 range. Do I really need to go that high? If so, should I lower my pH before raising the TA?

Only raise TA if you are using trichlor tablets. When using bleach/liquid chlorine/cal-hypo you should keep TA around 70 to 90. There is no need to lower PH if you are raising TA.

If your test results are correct (I'm skeptical) you have a CC level of 0.8. CC above 0.5 means you should shock the pool to get the CC level down. However, I am skeptical of the pool store testing. Your best bet would be to get your own top quality test kit, or failing that get results from another pool store, before doing anything about your CC level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.