Anybody here do Motocross or Enduros?

Apr 2, 2007
Just wondering if anyone else loves 2 wheels and dirt?
My son's into racing motocross, I like everything from track to trail, my wife just enjoys the milder side of the sport - but what matters is she enjoys it no matter what speed she's traveling at.

anyone else - Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Uh, 25 years and 75 lbs ago I raced MX on a 1982 Husky 390, open class. My best place was a 2nd, once.
Also had an 85 CanAm 400, and finally rode another 82, but a Yamaha 250 (the best of the lot that I've owned).
Finally decided to quit after I raced a Hare Scramble on a 10 mile track (3 laps) through a cow pasture that had suffered rainfall the day and night before.
The mud and cow poop basically wiped me out, and finally kicked my Rear in the middle of the second lap through the woods.

Now, I'm happy as can be ridin with my kids on our ATVs. The bones don't recover as quickly as they use to.

Coincidence your blue was the best bike? I think not - Yamaha IMO is the best bike going, I've got a WR400F and it starts first kick every time, runs like clockwork and takes everything I can give it begging for more. The only issue I have with this bike is that it's really hard to keep the front wheel planted, but you get used to that quickly and it's really not that bad steering using your rear wheel!
My kid on the other hand swears by Green, then again, not many out there make a decently built and priced race bike for an 8 yr old - KTM is off their rocker with the prices on kids bikes.

Yeah, KTMs are $$$$. I have a buddy out in California with the 560 and he says it's well worth the money. He won't let anyone ride it unless they've got some time handling an open class bike.

Yamaha's are awesome dirt vehicles, 2 or 4 wheels. Remember when they came out with their ATC's? The weight distribution was back heavy so it was real easy for the front end to be skyward most of the time. I think Honda had the rights to centering the motor so it was fairly balanced. Then Suzuki came out with theirs, which was front heavy...they wanted to be different.
I never had an ATC but what a mess that was, with all the injuries!

Want to see a cool Reverse Trike?
http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?s ... cle_id=282
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ ... 61047.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s40RtrK3lN0 (good video)

The Can-Am is made by Bombardier, Canadian company - pretty cool, have you seen the KTM Xbow - really cool too!
Can AM is supposed to be getting back into MX too!
All in all - I find that KTM is no different than any of the Japanese bikes, your friend may think really highly about his baby, but really, they're just overpriced with no advantages over the Japanese, actually, I see more disadvantages such as:
They come with some performance parts you may need to pay extra for on a Japanese bike - BUT - are these parts the parts you WOULD have chosen? (Renthal bars stock but what if you want Pro Tapers? - it's money spent...)
When it breaks (which it will) your repair bills are higher, parts take longer to come in (dealers don't stock everything), there are less OEM clone parts available so it's ALWAYS top dollar.
When it comes to racing, its never the bike that wins anyways.

We put about 150 HARD miles on our dirtbikes this past weekend, the only thing I did was change my sons gear oil afterwards because he runs full WFO all the time - todays 8 year olds with no fear of anything!
If they were KTM's I'd have to do some TLC to them or pay the piper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.