Spike in CH from yesterday to today, is this a problem?

Yes stabilizer is the same as CYA, but the problem is that the pool store doesn't take it into account as affecting the level the FC should be. They recommend that the FC level be 1 to 3 ppm no matter how high the CYA is.

Great news! The pool looks a lot clearer today!! It isn't quite sparkling yet tho, but not cloudy either. Hopefully continuing filtering after I brushed the walls down yesterday and vacuumed the floor will clear it up to 100% and make it sparkling by tmw.

The pool store is closed Sunday and Monday :( Sure hope I get my test kit soon as I feel like I am flying blind now...

Ok, I used one of the stupid test strips and tested it this morning, reading it outside and within the first 15 seconds... Looks like the FC was about in the middle range of the 1 - 3, the pH looked good in that range, and the TA appeared maybe ok, might have been just a touch outside the range (so hard to tell...). Stupid strips don't tell you CYA or anything else. I didn't add the full 62 oz of bleach yesterday, only the 34, but DID add the full 27 oz of MA as recommended, with 13 put in early evening and the other 14 about 11 pm. So, what do you all recommend?

It's a bit of a crapshoot without valid test results so here's what I would suggest until your kit arrives.

Each evening after the sun is off the pool, put in one large jug of Clorox. My thinking is you'll lose it the next day to the sun but it will be effective all night and help clear the pool as well as keep it sanitary. Everything else looks okay but with strips, you just can't be sure. The jug of CLorox in the evening won't cost too much and it's a great "insurance policy" against algae.

Once your kit arrives, post up your test results immediately and we'll help get you on the way to a sparkling pool. :lol:

Thanks Dave. One large jug meaning the 6% 182 oz one, or the 6% 96 oz one??
I have the Great Value brand from Walmart...

I've been reading almost non-stop on this forum, all thru Pool School and random forum topics that looked interesting or similar (above ground pool, newbies, opening, etc) and have learned a lot. Found a post from a woman that has same size and type of pool as me (frustratedmom, I think???) advising another poster of the amount of bleach needed each week, and she uses one of the big 182 oz 6% jugs per week all summer long. Would one of those big 182 oz jugs per evening be too much?

Thanks! I just put in 96 oz of 6% Great Value bleach. Pool looks really good, had Diver Dave running several hours this afternoon while I went running and got back and floor looked great. Then my brave 14 yr old daughter got in (couldn't wait, was brief lol) and I had her brush the floor around the sides and where he missed. Looks great! Still not sparkling though, but I'm sure it will be soon.

Another question. I bought a bottle of Therma Swim. I know it may not work very well, but gonna give it a try cuz our water is bone-chilling cold!!!!
Question is: how long should I wait after putting that bleach in to put the Therma Swim in? That way it will be in there tmw morning when the sun comes out (supposed to be 92 tmw) and hopefully help warm that blasted water up some...

Pool looks great, but is soooooooooooo cold!

Thanks Dave. I decided not to put it in after all, will either return it or offer it to a neighbor for a smaller pool. I did, however, put the solar (bubble wrap) cover on last night that I had for my 18 ft pool. Hehe, looks small in there in a 24 ft pool, but hey, any coverage I can get with the sunshine today to possibly help warm it up will do, right?

I used one of the stupid test strips this morning and tested the water after adding that 96 oz jug of bleach last night, and the numbers looked within range. The water looks all the way clear now too, so it looks awesome! Just sooooo cold! When I get my TF 100 kit, I will test the water and post up all the numbers to share to see if there is anything else I should be doing that I am not already doing. Think I'm getting the hang of it!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool looks sparkling clear again today!! Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I am still putting in a 96 oz jug every night after the sun goes down, per the advice of Dave (Duraleigh). Haven't got my TF 100 test kit, but it appears that it will arrive via FedEx tmw. Once I get it, will post up my test results for ongoing maintenance suggestions.

What are your thoughts on whether you let your dogs in your vinyl pools or not? We have a male boxer, about 80 lbs and I'm thinking we shouldn't let him in to avoid his claws from tearing/ripping the vinyl sides in case he panics or something. Please give me your thoughts TFP peeps....

Dogs are almost invariably fine once they are used to the water and know how to get out. Hold them, or stay very very close, until they are used to the water and trained on how to get out and can do so easily and repeatedly without panicking. Some dogs are fine in the water almost instantly, others need patience and attention before they get used to it.

Ok, here's a good question for everyone. As you know, when I fresh filled the pool 3 weeks ago, I had the brown water because of the metals in my town. I used Metal Free and it worked to clear it up, but it is only sequestered, correct?? I have not backwashed again in about a week because my water level is already down a little past half of the skimmer, and I would need to add more water to the pool. Of course I am worried that the new water will turn brown again once it hits the chlorinated water. I will, of course, have to add water at some point during the summer though, so will it turn brown again, or will the sequestering agent that is in there take care of it???? Should I add the water during the day when the chlorine level is lower?? So don't want to see brown..................

Read the instructions on the sequestrant you got and you'll see that you need to add a maintenance dose once a week. With the maintenance doses you should be able to do whatever you need to do and not worry about the brown returning.

I used the whole bottle of Metal Free. 3/4 of it one day, the rest the next day. Would the stuff they sell at Menards work just as well?? The Metal Free at my pool store is $30 a bottle! And do I really need to use it once a week as maintenance or could I just put it in a week before I need to add some new water?

Look for sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives. There are many brands available and quite a few of them are good. I don't recommend Metal Free, I am sure you can do better than that.

Ok, I received my TF 100 test kit today. I put in 96 oz of bleach again tonight after the daughter and her friend got out of the pool. It was dark, and was very sunny today, so figured I would just do as I have been doing since Sunday per advice from Dave earlier.

When is the best time to test? First thing in the morning, or in the evening as the sun is going down when we add the bleach??

The best time to test and add is whenever it's convenient for you.

Because my pump doesn't run 24 hours I will test once in a while, just before it's scheduled to run just to make sure the FC is not below the min for my CYA.

JeepGirl said:
Ok, I received my TF 100 test kit today. I put in 96 oz of bleach again tonight after the daughter and her friend got out of the pool. It was dark, and was very sunny today, so figured I would just do as I have been doing since Sunday per advice from Dave earlier.

When is the best time to test? First thing in the morning, or in the evening as the sun is going down when we add the bleach??
I suggest you test in the evening before adding bleach. You need to make sure you are not dropping below the min FC (for your CYA level) and you will have your test #'s needed to calculate the evening dose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.