When can I close this thing???

I am NOT,NOT,NOT a happy camper. :evil: I want (desperately NEED)to close this dang pool and forget about it for a while. :cry: :cry:

I am just SO over it. I cannot even tell ya. This mustard algae Crud I've been dealing with since JULY!! Argh. :evil:
I'm sick of it. Can't get rid of it no matter what I do. (where is the crying uncontrollably, basket case smiley??? :shock: )

Seriously, we even took the steps out thinking there were little %^^&&^$#$$#$#%^ algae behind or around it and still we have algae. I have raised the chlorine and kept it there-MANY times, vacuumed, backwashed, blah, blah,blah....followed advice here to the "T" and still we have algae. I'm ready to take the thing down completely.

So, now that I've ranted and raved how do I close the stupid thing? I put a bottle of algaecide in about 3 weeks ago and am now in the process (yet again!) of bleaching the heck out of the water to try to rid it of the algae. I swear, my neighbors (and the recycle guys!) must be wondering what the heck we are doing with all those bleach bottles...the extra large ones at that!

I'm actually on my way to Costco for more bleach as soon as I finish this post.

HELP me....tell me what I need to do to close. What about the algae with closing?

Thanks for any help.

Why not just close the pool as is? Even if you do manage to kill the algae it will probably come back over the winter (given recent history). If you have to deal with algae in the spring in either case, why not just close right now and worry about it later. Obviously this is not the normal recommendation, but given the problems you have had it might be the best course.

THANK YOU! Yes, exactly what I was wanting to do and hoping would be okay. After a nice long break (and some icky cold, damp weather :wink: ) I will be more than ready to start again on this pool stuff. Hopefully I can get it cleared up and keep it that way next year. (this started in July when we went on vaca and had someone else keeping the pool up for a week....came back to algae) Maybe next year no vaca?? :wink:

Where are you located? Does it freeze there? I'm guessing maybe not since you are "hoping" for cool damp weather but don't say anything about freezing. A good COLD snap will give you the boost you need to tackle algae as most of it just slows down or quits all together in cold and freezing weather. Anywhoooo

I have a question for you though with the algae. You stated you were bringing that chlorine level up there and holding on many occassions, vacuum, backwash, etc. I see you have a cart filter. Did you take the opportunity to remove/clean/sanitize that cartridge or replace it all together once you though you were at a clean level? Just a thought, it if was coming back, there was something for it to feed on and sometimes people forget that it grows in ALL the equipment and you may have been sending it right back into the pool. Only a thought, but something to consider. (we had a cartidge filter system on our old 18' round before we went to sand)

Hi,

We live on the edge of VA...eastern coast...Hampton Roads area. The pool would not freeze here. It would get cold though. Well, unless we have a winter like we did last year....which is just fine by me! :-D

I have noticed since the last few days or so since the weather finally decided to turn to fall (hmmm, I say that but just checked the weather for the next week...back to the mid-high 70's....I am NOT complaining,btw!) it seems like the algae may have stopped since the water is pretty chilly?? Hubby is going to vacuum today so we will see.

On the filter, didn't think of replacing it since the pool is new as of May. But, we did backwash and clean every time we vacuumed. We didn't sanitize though. How would we do that? Pour bleach directly on it? Maybe today after he vacs we can do that. Although I don't see any new growth like I had before just alot of dead algae on the bottom. Although, I know all to well that it can fool me like that sometimes. Get all excited thinking I've finally kicked it and it comes back. :(

We are waiting on our pool store to get covers back in stock. We didn't plan ahead too well. anyone have any good recommendations on where to get a good cover?

I have another question and will put it here hoping someone will see it.

If I'm supposed to lower my water below the skimmer level, how am I going to run my pump occasionally through the winter or when temps might be freezing?? I don't really get that.

Also, should I check my chlorine and add accordingly during the winter too?

thanks

There are two different approaches to dealing with freezing temperatures. Either you lower the water level and drain the pipes or you run the pump anytime it might get below freezing. Lowering the water level and draining the pipes always works, but it can be a lot of work. Running the pump when it might go below freezing is much simpler but will only work if it doesn't get too cold, fine for places that only occasionally go below freezing but not good in more northern climates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.