How to compare liquid chlorine %

Jun 1, 2008
NW MO
I don't use a lot of liquid chlorine, but when I need it I want to get the best price for the % of chlorine. In the past I have used mostly Clorox, which I understand in 6%. I can get 15% Ch for $3.99/gal at Menards or 12.5% for $3.61/gal or 10% for $18.55/5gal. Clorox is $2.49 for 182oz at Sam's Club. How can I compare these prices?

The simplest number to compare is the price per oz*ppm.

182 oz of 6% for $2.49 is 2.49/(182*6)=0.00228 per oz*ppm.
128 oz of 12.5% for $3.99 is 3.99/(128*12.5)=0.00249 per oz*ppm
5 gal of 10% for $18.55 is 18.55/(5*128*10)=0.00289 per oz*ppm

So the 6% is the best deal (unless I made a mistake).

Keep in mind that the higher % liquid chlorine is likely not at the advertised percentage when you buy it. LC degrades very very quickly. My tests of LC sold as 14% by a local pool store tested out at between 9 and 10%. I use it because a) it's convenient and b) I don't have those many bleach bottles to dispose of. Yes, I might save a few pennies if I shopped around for good prices on Clorox but it's not worth the gas and the hassle for the small amount of savings.

If you want to be more accurate about this, then you need to compare similar units and unfortunately bleach uses % weight of sodium hypochlorite while chlorinating liquid generally uses Trade % which is the % volume of Available Chlorine. So when comparing bleach to chlorinating liquid, note that 6% bleach is really 6.17% Trade (other strength bleaches are scaled about the same by 1.028 since they have similar density) so it's somewhat better than you'd think if comparing directly to chlorinating liquid. Of course, chlorinating liquid concentration can vary because it loses strength faster than bleach so you may not be getting what you think.

chem geek said:
If you want to be more accurate about this, then you need to compare similar units and unfortunately bleach uses % weight of sodium hypochlorite while chlorinating liquid generally uses Trade % which is the % volume of Available Chlorine. So when comparing bleach to chlorinating liquid, note that 6% bleach is really 6.17% Trade (other strength bleaches are scaled about the same by 1.028 since they have similar density) so it's somewhat better than you'd think if comparing directly to chlorinating liquid. Of course, chlorinating liquid concentration can vary because it loses strength faster than bleach so you may not be getting what you think.

I've made the sheet editable by the public so feel free to make any adjustments.

I noticed that the Clorox price at Sam's is ~2.50/gal as well. I will probably get GV at walmart assuming that the % is the same. Which I believe has been stated in other threads. A local pool store sells 10% LC, buy 3 get 1 free type of deal. Same price as Menards (minus the 4th one free). I would need to double check though.

I used to have mental dialogues about price/oz of chlorine, then again figuring out where to get the best chlorine price. Now, I'm more relaxed and happy - WalMart generally has the best prices for lg jugs (182oz). I'm there about every 10 days. But the plastic waste is daunting. So every now and again, I'll buy a 5lb. container of cal-hypo - which lasts a long time and is only one jug to put in recycle bin. Keeps my calcium up too, which has been required this year with all the rain we've had. This is how I maintain my sanity...at least for now.

I too have been wondering what to do with all the jugs. I've been wondering whether they would be good for storing water for emergencies? They must be pretty sanitized.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i dont think getting 6% chlorine is worth time and gas,the 12% from local pool store is the only way to go...after i bought first case i never looked back,when i first did my my bbb conversion i used clorox though after 100 empty bottles i was like screw this i then seen the light....plus if you dont support your local pool store they will close and i dont like buying from them alot either but they do help me out sometimes when i get in a pinch,and i dont spend alot of money there when i go

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.