Doing the AA treatment

michmike

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 11, 2011
Houston, TX, USA
this is really weird, but after doing the AA treatment last night, my PH is at 7.5. it only dropped .1 from 7.6 the day before the AA treatment. i followed the instructions and most of my stains are gone.
i used Jack's Magic Purple stuff plus and USB grade AA (2lbs used).

I am going to add some muriatic now to bring my PH down a little bit more. tomorrow i will start my swg again at 20% to start adding some chlorine to the pool

Re: Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

hey everyone i am looking for some advice since i think i got myself in trouble.
my pool was crystal clear last night when i tried to lower the PH to 7.2. Around midnight we had a thunderstorm with heavy rain. this morning when i woke up, the pool was cloudy (ouch, since i got a ton of people coming over on sunday for a big pool party). I had already added poly 60 and my pool has borates in it as well. i followed the instructions for the AA treatment completely. I can probably see 2 ft down into the pool, but not more.

when measured, the PH is 7.2 today and the TA is 110 (I know this is a little bit high).
Right now, I just put enough bleach to raise FC from 0 to 3 as per the best guess chart for my CYA. I also started my SWG at 20% output.

what can i do to start clearing this cloudiness out slowly? i know i can't shock :( any help is much appreciated.

hey Jason, actually the water did turn cloudy when i put the sequestrant in. however, overnight it cleared up and it became crystal clear again. it is my belief that something else is in play here. unless it is normal for the water to turn cloudy then clear and then cloudy again.

if the pool is clowdy, how can i tell that its not algae and it is from the AA treatment?
do folks know how long the clowdiness lasts in the pool?
would add more sequestering agent (Jacks purple) help to make this clear?

i didn't see any of the stains come back, so that's good news at least.

It is very difficult to tell. The water is often cloudy for a day or two, but that could have been your first clouding up and this could be something different. If you can maintain an FC level above zero, then it isn't algae. But since things other than algae can be using up chlorine, you can't tell anything if you can't maintain a chlorine level.

my FC is holding a little bit. it went from 3 to 0.5 in 8 hours, but that might be because there is still AA in the water and is eating up the chlorine. I just added more CL to push it to 3. Now my filter pressure also went from 12 to 18psi as well over the course of the day. i plan to backwash tonight and have the filter run overnight with SWG at 30%

update today. the water is less cloudy. visibility is 3-4 ft and my chlorine is close to 1ppm. PH is still at 7.2
i upped my SWG to 40% now and I am going to add enough CL to bring it to 3 ppm again using 6% bleach

thank guys so far and have a great memorial day weekend!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.