Very high PH. Never had a issue when opening.

May 19, 2010
Central NJ
Hi all.

PH...off the chart must be 10+
FC... I am shocking at 15+ppm
Alk...90
Cya..20

OK opened pool. It was green as usual. Been shocking and running filter 24 hrs a day for about 2 days now. Water went from green soup to light green/blue/cloudy.

The issue I never had high PH when opening the pool. Whats up with that?

I do have last yrs test kits though. Tried the OTO and DPD with same results.

What am I looking at here, and I guess I will not be ready for memorial day.

I have been following BBB from day one, and this is really me first issue ever.

If you're getting those PH high numbers while shocking............it doesn't mean much. It's naturally gonna check high when your FC is at 10 or better. You'll be fine! You should consider raising your CYA to at least 30 and shock for that level to help hold more FC during the process.

High FC can distort the pH reading. Did you measure it before or after dumping all that chlorine in?

The good news is, pH is easy to adjust. Once the pool is clear and the FC drops below 10, get your pH, plug things into pool calculator, and add the necessary acid. I'd brush things up good, it speeds up the mixing. In an hour or so, test again, and fine-tune.

But keep the FC up, don't coast. You might just be able to get in by Monday!

Richard320 said:
High FC can distort the pH reading. Did you measure it before or after dumping all that chlorine in?

But keep the FC up, don't coast. You might just be able to get in by Monday!

Yes I been testing with the Cl level up. I dont remember in all the other yrs this occuring, thats why I posted here.

Yeah, I am not coasting. Possibly I should vacuum. I usually dont vacuum until I can see the bottom some what. Other wise I would be doing it blind.

Update....Re: Very high PH. Never had a issue when opening.

OK, I took a vacuum to the pool and got some leaves out that must have fallen in when I took the cover off..

Pool is a light greenish, blue, white haze. The water was pea soup.

Got rid of the cart, (last yr) and have sand this yr. Its taking along time to clear up with sand. The cartridges are faster, but a PITA to clean. Especially when start up. Thats why I went to sand.

I think my pump may be too strong for this filter. (got it on that list site. Replaced all inards.) Possibly its pushing all the crude right through. It starts at 12PSI and builds to about 18PSI and dont really climb anymore. Except when I add about 1/4 -1/2 cup DE it climbs to 20psi quickly. Probably catching all the crude, and thats when I backwash because the flow is real reduced at 20 psi.

I tried putting a smaller hose at the skimmer to pump and pump to skimmer to reduce the flow. They look like 1 1/4 to me.
I have the bigger hose 1 1/2 from filter to return. Anyway the pump to filter hose split and I put another bigger hose on I had. Ugg...I dont know.

I think I will run the pump all night on low speed and see how it looks in the morning. OK let me go throw some bleach in..

When your filter pressure rises like that during the process of trying to clear an algae bloom, it is because you need to backwash. I don't think that it has to do with a pump and filter mismatch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.