Yet another filter post

May 1, 2007
Choconut,PA
I have a hayward clear-star plus 1200 ctg filter on our ig 20k pool. It has never really bothered me to take it out and clean it....yea it takes about 15-30 min depending on how dirty it is but so what. It does a pretty good job, my waters always nice and clear. I do have 1 compalint...and it's my bad so :roll: oh well...I took the electric pressure washer to it and broke the straps that hold all of the pleats in place. Not good on a ctg that's only one year old. I think I'm going to get some giant zip ties and put humpty-dumpty back togther again. Anyway I have a few things for ya'll to ponder. 1) I'm slightly considering switching to a sand filter....I've read all about adding de or using zeobrite, I guess I'm skeptiacal on sand being able to filter better than my cart. does now. ( my ctg is rated for 20micron and I still get some floaties/dust with the lights on..to my understanding a "ditry" sand fliter is 20micron at it's best.). 2) Has anyone thought of adding de to a cartrige filter for that extra sparkle/polish. And 3) what about putting a multi-port valve on a cartrige filter so it could be backwashed! Just some food for thought....I've got all winter to make up my mind. All posts/ideas are welcome.

PS....If your still swimming............I'm jealous! :(

Some cartridge filters can have DE added, others will be destroyed almost instantly if you add DE. I wouldn't try adding DE unless your filter manual specifically says DE can be added. There are fiber alternatives to DE that are safe to add to a cartridge filter. Some people can't see the difference, others claim an obvious improvement.

Cartridges are normally designed to suport the fabric against water pressure in only one direction. If you ran the water the other direction it would tear the fabric. They could be made to allow water flow in either direction, but I don't know of any designed that way.

A standard sand filter is not as good at getting small particles out of the water as a cartridge filter, particuarly after a couple of years of the sand wearing down. Adding DE to a sand filter does improve things dramatically, but it is unclear how the combination compares to a cartridge filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.