DE Filter issue

chriscard25

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2010
Hello all,

Just got my 24" Above ground pool running. Have noticed that when I turn the pump off, after a few minutes a white cloud (which I am presuming is DE water mix) backflows and fills my pump strainer basket about halfway. No DE coming in from the filter, or expelling from the return, when running or off.

I have a Clearwater II DE Filter with a Hi=Flo 2 speed Pump. Whenever the pump is running, the cloud disappears. There are not any air leaks in the basket, it stays fully primed.

I called our local pool store and talked to their repair dept. They are fairly reputable, been in business for 40 + yrs as well. He mentioned it was some sort of flap in the filter that failed(though I have no idea where this could be), and that it was not an issue and he wouldn't repair.

While I appreciate them not trying to get a service call out of it, not having things work correctly is in direct conflict with my TYPE A perso.

Does any of the experts have any insight on this as well. I should would appreciate the help and reassurance.

Thanks!

Hello,

There is a very small drip coming from one of the unions on my SWCG. Wasn't sure if that was enough to cause an issue like this (as I had the same leak last year with no issues)

If a little air is getting into the filter it will back out and cause the issue you're seeing when you shut the pump off. I'd do a cursory check of the pump basket lid to see if there are any air bubbles getting in and clean and lube it. If the filter has a manual air bleed I'd open it and see if any air comes out while it's running.

Hello,

Pump lid is air tight with a new, lubed O ring. No air comes out the bleeder valve. I'll take care of the SWCG drip and see if it helps and post back.

Thanks all--it is a fairly simple system that is frsutrating to troubleshoot.

hello, usually in the filter where the union connects to the pump there is a one way valve to stop this problem. this will occasionally happen is you dont change this valve every 3-5 years or the valve could have been eaten up by chlorine. sounds stupid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.