Keeping pool clean

May 18, 2011
Hi everyone,
I recently set up our Intex 16" x 48" ultra frame pool on our patio. I am using the pump that came with the pool (1500 gph), auto skimmer, and the saltwater chlorine generator. The problem I am having is that I can not manage to clean what appears to be dirt or silt from the bottom of the pool. The water is clear, so I am assuming it is not algae (correct?) and we do have a lot of loose, sandy dirt in our yard I vacuum with the hose vacuum daily (came with the pool). I can tell the particles are too fine for the vacuum bag and go right through it. Then they settle back to the bottom again after a few hours. Last night I tried keeping the pool stirred up for a few hours in the hopes the particles would get filtered out, and this morning there they are. Before I go out and buy new equipment, I am hoping for some advice.

Is this a vacuum issue or a pump issue? The intex site says the upgraded filter vacuum will not remove fine particles or sand, so if it will not help I do not want to buy it.
Is there a product or a techinique anyone can recommend that will pick up these fine particles?
Is it possible to be algae? It is not stuck to the bottom, does not feel slimy, water is clear? I put in an algaecide last week.

Thanks for any help or advice! I am spending a tremendous amount of time on this pool.

I am current testing different methods of filtering the fine silt out of my pool. One thing im working on now is a length of 2" pvc with varying degrees of filter media, fine and coarse polyester quilt batting that I attach to the vac hose and the intake. My first test did trap a lot of the silt but the next day we had terrible storms come through and brought a ton of dirt with them. Ill be working on it this weekend and will post some results.

the other option is to waste the return water onto the lawn while you are vacuuming

Even with my set up I still get all the fine silt in the pool also. The winds have been terrible lately. There are two ways I know of to get rid of the fine silt on the bottom of the pool.
1: Since the silt is heavy and falls back to the bottom fairly quickly you need to keep brushing the pool to keep the silt suspended in the water. The pump will filter it out but will take a long time to do so.
2: The Sand Filter/Pump has enough power to use a manual vacuum and it works quit well but you have to make sure you don't distrub the silt to much while vacuuming. You will need to backwash the filter a few times during the process to keep the vac pressure up.

I vacuum mine once a week and have no problems keeping my pool cleam and clear.

If you have any question don't hesitate to ask.
:cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.