Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris Tail squirts out a lot of water.

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris Tail squirts out a lot of water.

So the plumber has tested the pool and cannot find any leaks using pressure testing and moisture sensor around the pool. Is it possible that the polaris that runs 5 hours a day is squirting out 200 gallons a day. The tail comes out and squirts quite frequently, is that plausible? If so how can I get it to quit doing that? The leak checker I ourchased indicates water loss beyond evaporation.
    i'VE FALLEN IN AND i DON'T WANT TO GET OUT.

2. Back To Top    #2

Sounds unlikely to me... but many things in life are surprising...

One way to find out....

turn it off.
    18,000 gallon gunite free form, with spa, 4x160, EasyTouch, SWCG, Pentair cartr filter, Colorlogic lights.

3. Back To Top    #3
    I don't think there is anyway it's shooting out that much water however, if it sprays out a lot as mine did, you might want to look into a weight that fits on the end of the tail to keep it from spraying out so much.

I'll see if I still have the link to the website where I got mine if you are interested.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes please get me the link
    i'VE FALLEN IN AND i DON'T WANT TO GET OUT.

5. Back To Top    #5
    It's kind of a clunky website, but they shipped pretty quick and everything was as ordered.
    http://www.mypool.com/Products/Catalog/acp.asp?NAV=3

The item number you are looking for is B-2 - Polaris Sweep Hose Weight - it's about half way down the page in the link.

hth
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Polaris Tail squirts out a lot of water.

Quote Originally Posted by medelman2k
    So the plumber has tested the pool and cannot find any leaks using pressure testing and moisture sensor around the pool. Is it possible that the polaris that runs 5 hours a day is squirting out 200 gallons a day. The tail comes out and squirts quite frequently, is that plausible? If so how can I get it to quit doing that? The leak checker I ourchased indicates water loss beyond evaporation.
    I also have a Polaris 360 and it squirts the dog all the time!! But seriously, I also had a leak my first year of a new pool. After much searching, the pool company sent in the diver-he found the main drain plastic housing cracked where the drain cover/screen fasteners screw in. It appears the pool plaster guys, used oversized screws when installing the drain screens. The diver fixed the crack easily with epoxy putty that works under water. He also found small spaces between the skimmer doors and the pool concrete walls-also fixed with the epoxy putty. Alas, no more leaks
    Don SW Florida
    10,000 gal in ground concrete pool
    Pentair Cartridge filter, Pentair SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump (11018)
    FAFCO solar panels w/Pentair SolarTouch controller
    using BBB for pool chemistry/Lamotte ColorQ tester for daily testing

7. Back To Top    #7

If I remember correctly ( ), there is an adjustment screw on the body of the unit to let more or less water through the sweep tail, you may try playing with that.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

For various reasons that I don't feel like rehashing, at the end of my job, my pb ended up calling out American Leak Detectors just to "prove me wrong", basically.

I hadn't even said that there was a leak, but my pb was trying to do pressure test that he couldn't get to hold... so he called ALD's.

They found no leaks in the lines that were in question, but they did find some "pinhole" leaks around at least 2 of the return fittings where the plaster meets the plastic.... and supposedly fixed the leaks with the above mentioned waterproof putty (which I know works bc this is what they used to fix a rather large leak in my spa... which also was where the plaster met the jet fittings.)

Knowing what I experienced... if I had ANY DOUBT about my pool leaking, I'd pay the $400-500 for an inspection. Even then, they might no be perfect... but you're much closer to knowing for sure.

Best of luck....

200 gallons a day.... that sounds like a lot of water.

200 gallon buckets of water sitting around your pool? hmm...
    18,000 gallon gunite free form, with spa, 4x160, EasyTouch, SWCG, Pentair cartr filter, Colorlogic lights.