Please Help! Frogs in the Pool!

Frogs have invaded my pool! Before I pulled off the cover, the cover had some water in it that was green. A couple of frogs had found it but I did not think anything about it because I thought once the cover was off, that water would have chlorine in it so they would leave. Boy was I wrong! When I openned, they called their friends! They are partying every night to the wee hours of the morning. How can something so small be so loud!

My water is crystal clear and my numbers are right on. Please help!

I'm not really sure what you could do the eliminate the little froggies. It''s clear that they love the little wonderland that you have constructed in their honor. Maybe adding borax might help? You caould look at it this way though, those little guys will sure make a dent in the mosquito and other nuisance bug population for you and it will be pesticide free.

257WbyMag said:
I'm not really sure what you could do the eliminate the little froggies. It''s clear that they love the little wonderland that you have constructed in their honor. Maybe adding borax might help? You caould look at it this way though, those little guys will sure make a dent in the mosquito and other nuisance bug population for you and it will be pesticide free.

That's an excellent point....now I want frogs. Where do I get em? :lol:

Speaking of frog legs: hubby vacationed in Canada as a teenager DECADES ago, and the lake they stayed at had tons of frogs. So one night they went frog gigging and had a wonderful dinner of frog legs. Few days later they're talking to some locals and discussing how loud the frogs are. The locals stated that the frogs mmultiplied exponentially when they banned gigging a few years back. They didn't say another words and no one was the wiser.

i'm in nc too and i get plenty of frogs but if my chlorine is right they end up dead in the skimmer. frogs generally cant live in chlorinated water, so either up your chlorine levels and kill them or just keep scooping them out and taking them away from the house. hopefully they'll get the hint.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Frog Update!

I have put 4 of them on the Federal Witness Protection Program. They were relocated about 3 miles away and given new names. I have removed 2 from the skimmer that were dead. We have not had a frog in the pool for 4 nights now. However, we have had temps in the 90's which might keep them from traveling. I believe that the chlorine, over time, got them. The last frog that I caught was very lethargic.

We live in the boonies...have a frog or 2 a week. However, at night, all you can hear are the tree frogs....everywhere...very loud, so it's no wonder a couple of them end up in the pool.

We had 2 bullfrogs living in the pool when we first purchased our house...the pool was a swamp, mind you. I have never heard anything so loud at night, they sounded like an elk or something right by the bedroom window. On close and careful inspection, I saw the nostrils of a bullfrog peeking out from the water. The bullfrogs stay away now, just the little cute creepy tree frogs enjoy our pool! :cheers:

We have frogs too. After opening the pool, which had been closed for 6 years (another story), I thought that they wouldn’t like the fresh water and chlorine either but they don’t seem to mind. I shock the pool once a week with powdered chlorine and that doesn’t seem to faze them. They are friendly enough and a few of them even let me give them “rides” in the skimmer net when I’m skimming the water and I gently relocate them from one end of the pool to the other. Every week or so there’s a pair that mates all day and then we have frog eggs in this sticky goo on the steps and frequently in the skimmer baskets. There’s a 2 day old batch right now on the steps that I’m not looking forward to removing.

While hooking up a new Hayward XL pool vac one got accidentally sucked into an exposed skimmer intake and jammed up the shallow end suction feed for a few days until his body made its way into the pump motor strainer. We were glad that the line wasn’t clogged anymore but there’s a couple large ones that would really jam the line up good if they ever got sucked in. I’m thinking of physically catching them and putting them in a bucket and taking them down to a nearby swamp and releasing them. We’ve done this years ago and it took care of the problem back then. Trouble is the only buckets we have with lids have old chlorine tabs in them which would have to be temporarily stored somewhere or tossed out, then let the buckets soak in the pool overnight to reduce the residual chlorine chemical that is very strong in the buckets. Not sure if this will work without killing them but we don’t have any other large containers with lids to transport the little buggers in. When I’m in the water they tend to stay to the sides but the frog eggs are getting to be a messy nuisance.

Reactions: Sprinkles
The last two nights I have had 25-30 frogs in my pool. I just spent 20 minutes fishing them out, then ordered the Critter saver thingy for my skimmer off amazon.

Here is my concern after reading a bit about this. Most posts I read state the Frogs "live" in the pool. I have a number of dead frogs in the morning (And a number of living frogs.) Should I be concerned about chemicals in my pool? Are frogs like the canary in the coal mine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.