Please Help! Frogs in the Pool!

Results: Well, I clearly had less dead frogs *in the skimmer*. They were there. I would say I had less than 10 frogs in the skimmer and about half of them were dead. However, there were at least 20 in the pool. Again, half of those were dead. So the skimmer gives them an escape route, as I saw one escaping when I came out this morning, but they clearly are not smart enough to use it before dying. And it also just gives them a reason to go die in the pool instead of the skimmer. So I don't know how many frogs I am actually 'saving'. I do know that I've created a new morning job for myself.

Not really a solution but I’ve noticed the frogs, about 6 or so, immediately vacate the water whenever I go in for a swim. During the day they tend to be scarce and hiding in nearby shrubbery and then at night they “take over” the pool like VC infiltrators. Took a swim tonight and they got out and mostly just watched me from the coping as if I was using their pool. I’m probably going to have to relocate them to the swamp not too far from here as a couple of them are constantly locked in embrace which results in messy frog eggs in the skimmers, steps, etc. This is happening less as I use the pool more frequently but it is still a nuisance.

If you need to sleep, as I have, net them into a 5 gallon bucket... For some reason they quiet down, mind you these are toads that go into our goldfish pond ( right outside bedroom window) so they don't have have the sticky pads to climb out of the bucket. Never had a problem with the climbing kind, rarely see them anymore it seems. Spring peepers are especially notorious for being so loud for something so small... Th toads are pretty raucous too... ESP when you get 30+ in an 6 ft diam g.f. Pond.... Sigh... They seem to make a racket and "do their thing" when rain is on the way.... Mind you the last time I bucketed them, this spring, I moved it far away from the window. The next morning they got paroled back to the pond to finish their bid-ness at a more civil hour... Sure it pooped their party, but I got to go to sleep!

Did you ever say how they are getting in? I assume they are the climbers with sticky feet? Or are you at ground level?

Just curious..

We have a frog pond about 20 ft or so from our pool (and quite a few frogs) and for the most part, they stay there. I wonder if it weren't there would we be dealing with a similar situation you are? We do have a larger resident frog named Fred, who also enjoys hopping himself up the hill to enjoy a dip in the pretty pool. We don't mind, but he also isn't bringing 20 of his friends, so it's manageable. Here is a pic of Fred chilling out on the solar cover yesterday afternoon when the storms rolled through.

When the solar cover isn't on, we use 2 frog logs in the pool to ensure Fred and any other small critters don't end up in the skimmer. They hang out on them and use them as a little sun shelf on occasion, but if I'm in the pool, no frogs allowed! lol

I hope you can find something that works!

Attachments

• IMG_2861.jpg
    IMG_2861.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2731.jpg
    IMG_2731.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2847.jpg
    IMG_2847.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm, interesting article. I like the coffee grounds idea. I can create a perimeter around the deck area over time. I will come up with a detente with the frogs. They can stay in the grass and enjoy that as much as they want. They are not allowed on the deck. Especially when they poop on the deck which is really gross.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.