Sand at the bottom of the pool? And I have a DE filter.

Subject describes it all. I can't seem to figure out how sand is at the bottom of my pool since I have a DE filter.
Any thoughts / opinions would be appreciated.
Also - my pool cleaner (Polaris 280) picks it up but can't hold it. It comes right back out through the catch bag.

Side question but along a similar line. The cleaner does pick up these small bead like things, some aqua blueish and some white. They crush easily between the fingers. Any idea what they might be?

Details:
- Inground pool
- Pebbletec
- DE Filter
- Zodiac Mineral cartridge plus BioGuard Silk tabs (trichlor) (low dose)
- Shock is BioGuard Smart Shock
- Water has been soft but I am bringing up the hardness now.

Welcome to TFP!

It may look like sand, but does it actually feel like sand? Sometimes, algae can appear dusty on the bottom of the pool and appear remarkably similar to sand. Can you provide us with a set of test numbers to include FC, CC, TA, pH, CH, and CYA?

Thanks for the welcome. I am happy to be a registered with TFP.

The numbers are good - except for the hardness ... which has been down around 50. Not sure how the water could have become this sft at opening. Alot of rain ... but I didn't think rain would be on the soft side. Anyway - I did have to top the pool off a little and we do have a softener on our system running to every outlet including the spickets.
I haven't yet put in the mineral cartridge (Nature2 G35) for the season. Would you think this could be from last season?

If you have a Pebbletec pool, couldn't it be surface particles of the pool wall itself? You mention aqua blue/white particles are in the pool as well.

I have a liner pool and find sand in the bottom after a while...folks walking around the pool can pick up a lot of stuff on the bottom of their feet. Even the wind can blow particles in there from just about anyhwere on the deck...

By the way...I have decided this year to NOT replace the Nature2 cartridge, based on what I've read here at TFP...my two cents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.