30x20 kidney shaped, fully caged ... confused about Dolphin models

Nov 30, 2009
North Florida
Hi All,

Spent a couple of hours reading on a Dolphin products, but still not really clear ... my previous pool was built about 15 years ago and a separately plumbed cleaner with a separate pump ... things have changed, I guess.

Just moved into two year old house with kidney shaped pool, dual skimmer plumbed - tried suction cleaning with tool and even that stressed the pump head with dry cycling - eventually would stabilize as the hose filled fully, but the system was clearly not happy. Spoke with builder - said they didn’t install systems for pump based cleaning any longer., and that should consider electric cleaner.

Volume is probably around 14000 gallons, 30x20 kidney shape, with a 1’ deep shallow end shelf of about 50 sf. An additional sitting ledge, as well. Fully caged so limited issue with leaves.

Have sorted through many of the threads on the topic, but the model line still confuses ... my needs are limited.

Recommendations for “basic” and “better” solutions?

Stephen,

I would recommend the Dolphin S200 (style) robot.. Most people here buy them from Marina Pool and Spa. You need to call as they are not allowed to do internet sales. Ask Margaret which robot would work best for you.

Margaret Mills
Marina Pool, Spa & Patio
7777 West Jewell Avenue
Lakewood, Colorado 80232
303-985-0077

I like simple and the S200 is simple.. You can get the S300 and S300i, with fancy electronics and remotes, but that is not my thing..

Thanks,

Jim R.

The nice thing about the S200/E20 (same robot) is that it will climb your walls and brush the sides of the pool.

A cheaper version is the Dolphin that doesn't climb walls and only does the floor of the pool.

It doesn't sound like you need anything fancier than the S200/E20.

Maddie :flower:

tried suction cleaning with tool and even that stressed the pump head with dry cycling - eventually would stabilize as the hose filled fully, but the system was clearly not happy.

Just a quick note that if you’re using a vacuum or something on the suction side to clean you need to fill the hose with water before you connect it. You can’t expect the pump to pull all that air out of the hose.

Stephen,

Seems to me that a robot is perfect for someone with a screened in pool.. You would only have to run it once a week or less.. Most of the time I only run mine twice a week, except when the stuff starts dropping off my neighbor's trees.. With a cage, how much stuff could get in your pool???

I love not seeing it in my pool.. Ask yourself this.. If pool cleaners are supposed to be seen, then why are they not in all the new pool advertisements.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Stephen,

To be clear, I was an avionics guy who was lucky enough to go up a couple of times..

Back in the stone age I was stationed at Keflivick NAS Iceland for a year.. I met plenty of P-3 guys during my tour, as that was a prime sub hunting spot, among other things.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ha - spent some lovely time in Kef - for some reason it was always winter when I was there ... awful flying, but good training - assuming one lived through it!

I sent note to Marina this morning with questions on which cleaner, pricing, and also on recommendations wrt remote control - looks like with Hayward Prologic system would need a 4 relay wireless remote controller - I do want to be able to adjust heater temperature - I'm assuming this is possible with my basic system - will see what Marina says.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.