2500gph upgrade

Jul 16, 2010
Hello all. Need advice. My 637 pump died on my intex 16 ft ultra frame. I want to upgrade to the 2500gph. Read many bad things about hooking up a bigger pump to the 16ft pool. Sucking air and collapsing gasket. What store on amazon do you recommend? I wanna be able to buy the 2500 pump, 1 filter, plunger valves, hoses and everything I need. I'm on the fence about the type B adapters. Read many things about they are junk. Yes, I will even cut my openings bigger for the upgrade. Before I posted this I have read alot. Would appreciate any info. Thx all.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:
The 16' Ultra frame already has the largest holes cut in to the liner. No need to make them bigger. Your pool already has the correct fittings you need for the upgrade. My suggestion is that instead of getting the 2500GPH pump go with the 2100GPH Sand filter/pump combo. I had the 2500GPH on my 16' Ultra frame and it was OK but I upgraded to the sand filter and made a world of difference. Please check out this topic. I consolidated many useful Intex Pool topics. The links are in the firt post.

:cheers:

That's 1 thing I left off. for some reason I am against a sand filter. I'm ok with washing my filter off every few days. Thx for reply. I'm still lost as to the hole size. My pool has the black nipples that stick out. Can that be used with a plunger valve.

Could you post a pic of the pool. I had the 16' and don't remember having any "Black Nipples" on my pool. The plunger valves connect directly to the fittings on the pool.
This is what your pool should look like with the fitting and plunger valve. This is what came with the pool.
21.jpg

P.S. The cart filter/pump that comes with these pools are not up to par when it comes to keeping the pool filtered and cleaned.

The nipples protrude outside of the pool. My 637 pump hoses just slipped onto them and used a hose clamp. Sry no pic of pool. But it it a 16ft ultra frame 5000gallons powder coated grey poles. Now there is nothing to screw the plunger valves onto just an inch and half black nipple???????

The 637 pump you have now, did it come with the pool? If it did you don't have the Ultra Frame pool. I just looked at the pump and that is not the pump that comes with the Ultra Frame. That could explain why your hose connection doesn't look like the picture I posted. Some of the standard frame pool came in the grey color. I think you have one of those. If that is the case then you will need to cut wider holes in to the pool once you get the new pump.

You might be right about being a standard. The book that came with it says ultra frame. It's not round but more like a stop sign shape. Anyway when you cut the holes is there any tricks I need to know. Read 1 post about the seal won't fit properly if the hole is 2 small. 2 many people have recommended the 2500 so I'll get 1 and figure it out. Thx for help crook.

deernrams said:
You might be right about being a standard. The book that came with it says ultra frame. It's not round but more like a stop sign shape. Anyway when you cut the holes is there any tricks I need to know. Read 1 post about the seal won't fit properly if the hole is 2 small. 2 many people have recommended the 2500 so I'll get 1 and figure it out. Thx for help crook.

You really should consider upgrading the filter. The cartridge filters that come with the Intex and similar pools are woefully inadequate. Just upgrading the pump doesn't help. The first year we had ours I tried to use the system that came with it. We killed one pump and Genfoam, the company that made ours, send us an upgraded pump because they were out of the one I needed. It still didn't help and by the end of the summer, the upgrade was dead too. We put an above ground pump and sand filter on ours last year and I don't regret it one bit!

It seemed to me to be a lot of money to spend on a $350 pool (bought end of season and with a friend's discount). We spend about the same amount on the pump and filter! I am so convinced now, I'm looking at a Pool Rover Jr to help with some vacuum issues the upgrade and a crappy skimmer are causing. I can replace the pool easily enough and we have the right equipment to keep it looking great. TFP gave me the tools to keep it sparkling clean and safe to use.

Well after contemplating and reading all I could I believe I'm just gonna get the 2000gph saltwater chlorinator combo. I guess this one has the copper ionizer? If so how do you unhook it. Could someone refer me as to where I should order one from??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.