cant hold chlorine.. pool company says high phosphates..help

dara4

May 24, 2011
We opened our pool this weekend and it was light green...first time this has happened. We added 24 pounds of pool brand shock over the next 3 days and it turned cloudy grey/blue and still wasn't showing any chlorine on the test strip, so I went to the pool store and these were the water test results
FAC 1
TAC 1
PH 6.8
TA 100
CH 100
cya 30
PHOSPHATES 100

They told me to add 2 pounds of soda ash and 25 pounds of hardness plus and then shock 24 hours later...I did evrything as instructed and still nothing for chlorine on the test strip. I took water to get tested again and these are the results

FAC 1
TAC 4
CH 230
CYA 40
TA 90
PH 7.1
BASE DEMAND 2
Copper 0
IRON 0
TOTAL DIS SOLIDS 500
PHOSPHATES 500

They told me I needed to treat the phosphates with phos free after I add 1 more pound of soda ash and shock it again. I did the soda ash and shock but this time did some research and found this site. I'm a little confused how the phosphates increased from a few days prior? I really would like to try and get a handle on this the right way before I start adding all types of chemicals I dont need and possibly make it worse..Any help would be greatly appreciated!

27,000 gal
vinyl In ground
cartridge filter

Re: cant hold chlorine.. pool company says high phosphates..

You haven't completed the shock process (not the product, the process) and that's why your chlorine is being eaten up so quickly. You need to hold the shock level until your CC (TC-FC) is under .5 and you can pass the overnight FC test. See the Shock Process in Pool School for more info. I strongly suggest learning the process and not listening to your pool store.

Disregard the phosphates all together. That's the new pool store buzz word designed to transfer your money to their money.

As Robbie said, you need to shock properly. In order to do that you need a good test kit of your own. Strips won't do. Go order one as soon as possible.

While it's coming read Pool School espcially the part about shocking.

Once you have a good test kit come back and post the results you get with it here.
pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA

Once that's done we'll help you get it cleared up and you will have a much easier time keeping it clear.

ok I got my test kit and here are the results. Note I added 4 gallons of liquid chlorine yesterday afternoon and I took the sample this morning.

PH 7.0
FC 5.4
CC 1
TA 70
CH 200
CYA 100 + test only tests to 100 :(

Do the CYA test again, except that this time mix equal amounts of pool water and tap water together, test that, and multiply the test result by two. That will give you a rough idea of just how high the CYA level really is.

Your PH is a little low, not enough to be a real problem, but it is still a good idea to bump the PH up to around 7.4 or 7.5.

With CYA very high you need more chlorine than that in the water. Just how much chlorine you need depends on just how high CYA really is, so do the CYA test as described above and use that CYA level to figure out what an appropriate shock level is.

Pool stores are surprisingly bad at doing water tests. It is really quite amazing how many people we hear from who have similar dramatic errors in their pool store water test results.

You are going to want to replace some water to bring the CYA level down to something more reasonable. I recommend doing that before you do anything else. Dealing with a pool when CYA is that high is a huge pain. Lowering CYA will make everything much simpler.

I was afraid you would say that...at this point I can't really afford the $1300.00 to replace my water. Thank you so much for all of your help. So glad I found this site.

dara4 said:
I was afraid you would say that...at this point I can't really afford the $1300.00 to replace my water. Thank you so much for all of your help. So glad I found this site.
Don't you have a hose that'll reach the pool? Unless you need to truck in the water, what's going to cost you $1300?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

i figured in order to lower the cya enough I would have to replace at least 1/2 so why not replace the whole thing to be safe. To replace my whole pool would be 1300.00.

Sorry but PA doesn't have R/O treatment available that I know of.

There's really no other way to lower your CYA than water replacement. Since your water is so expensive, do you collect and store rain water? or do you have a natural water source available that you could pump from?

I just asked my husband (he's an electric, plumbing and heating contractor) and he said we don't have anyone in this area that does pools. He installs and services those systems on wells and such.

It looks like we have no other choice but to replace some water..I'm really curious now about cya levels I'm going to check all my neighbors pools and see if theirs is high as well. Thanks again, I will check back after I replace some water.

1300 in water usage charges from your utility??? I filled a 110,000 gallon pool a few years ago with my hose(s) and my water bill was about $150 more than usual...

Also, "more is better" isn't necessarily the case here. You need to cut your CYA in about half, so only need to drain/refill about half your water.

Hi Dara, I'm in Quakertown, so hi neighbor! Another option would be for you to start filling it with a hose lowered to the bottom of the pool while you're draining it with the skimmers open only. If you're on well water it'll come out cold and stay low while you drain the warm water from the top. No refill needed. I assume you were looking at an aqua duck-like service. This will definitely be cheaper...though it will take longer.

$1300.00 is for a water service to come and fill it. We were planning on pumping out around 1/2. We have a pretty powerful pump so I believe we will pump out first and then refill with the hose from our house... it will be a slow process. At this point, we either put the money out on chemicals trying to keep it balanced, or pay to replace half the water. On the upside, ive got the algae gone, but who knows for how long.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.