Used PH Reducer with SWG

Oct 15, 2010
First time pool owner and opened the pool this past weekend. Had my water tested at the store and ph levels were too high. They sold me a ph reducer which I used. Now, through the great info on this forum, I see that dry acid and ph reducers should not be used when one has a swg. What's the reasoning for this and did I cause any damage to my swg after just one dose?

Thanks

I add muriatic acid all the time to keep my Ph in check and i have a SWG. I think you're supposed to add things like that with the cell off but I don't....I suspect I'll get corrected for that shortly. So until you hear otherwise do as I say and not as i do....you can add muriatic by a return but uh......do it with your cell off for a half hour. :oops:

Dry acids add extra things such as sulfates to the pool water. It's best to not add anything else into the water that you don't need to add because they could end up causing negative effects down the road. One dose isn't going to harm anything so don't worry about that.

The vast majority of pool owners here use muriatic acid to lower the pH when indicated. Muriatic acid is a fairly antiquated term for hydrochloric acid, which is a pure substance in the fact that it does it's job without adding any extra stuff to the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.