Pool calculator numbers correct?!

May 18, 2011
Kailua, Hawaii
This is a continuation of another topic I started but thought it best to start new one.

I replaced ALL the water in the pool to get rid of high CYA level (200ppm). I tested new water and here are results:
FC = 0
pH = 7.6
TA = 60
CH = 50
CYA = 0

Assuming these are normal results because it's just tap water. But, using the pool calc, the recommendations to get everything balanced I need to:

FC = add 249 ozs of bleach. Ok.
PH = ok...might actually be 7.5, hard to tell
TA = add 188 ounces or 12 lbs of baking soda. 12 lbs?! Really?
CH = add 622 ounces or 39 lbs of calcium carbonate. 39 lbs?! Again, really?
CYA = add 80 ounces of stabilizer to get to 30. Ok.

Some of these sound excessive, particularly the CH one. The test results for this were normal before I emptied pool. Could there be that much difference in new water?

But, I trust you guys, thanks.

You need to enter numbers in the Target column that are appropriate for your situation. The Pool Calculator doesn't know what your Targets should be. It does list target ranges, but you have to work from those ranges and decide what to enter in the Target column.

I would target FC of 3 for now. TA of 80 or 90. PH is fine where it is now. And target CYA of 40. You will want to raise CH, but don't start on that right away.

Is that full tile, i.e. no exposed plaster? I have always wondered about the CH requirement in a full tile pool. My FIL in Brazil has a full tile pool and I am sure they have never even tested for CH in the 30 years he has owned it. Pretty sure fill water is low CH as source is rain-filled reservoirs, and annual rainfall is massive. (We went 56 years without worrying about it in a painted steel pool in NJ, too.)

Ok...progress. After a few days of complete water replacement and adding some chems, here are my numbers:

FC = 4.5 (this is after adding 12 gallons of bleach over 3 days)
pH = 8.0 (could be because I added 5 lbs of baking soda to raise TA?)
TA = 80
CH = 50 (same thing as when first added water, haven't added anything yet for this)
CYA = 0 (however, a few days ago I added 5 lbs of solid CYA to socks submerged)...this one concerns me because I don't want to go back to 200ppm like it was before...is this ok or should I pull one or two of the socks out?

How am I doing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, thx. Other questions:
1. I'm using 'vinyl' as pool type for a fully tiled pool. Correct?
2. I added muriatic acid to lower pH. Got scary warnings on how dangerous this chemical is. Do I really need a respirator to use if I'm adding relatively small amounts (28 ozs) and trade winds are blowing? I did use rubber gloves and eye protection in case I tripped or something, but haven't worked with this before.
3. I've read that low pH levels have some effect on humans but does high pH have any affect? Is it ok to be in the pool?

1. Would not "plaster" make sense due to the grout?
2. I poured 7 gallons of MA into my pool last night and I'm not dead. :) I opened the seal with my bare fingers and wore shorts to work in LOL! YMMV.
3. I'd say it depends on how high or how low! I neither want to take a bath in strong sulfuric acid nor strong sodium hydroxide!

Definitely wear eye protection when using muriatic acid, but no need for a respirator or gloves (unless you have open cuts).
People are totally fine from 7.2 to around 8.6, and only have mild irritation for some distance outside that.

Ok, thx.

Only difference I see in pool calc numbers when switching from vinyl to plaster is for CH. Vinyl = 50-300, plaster = 250-350. So, are you still recommending that I wait to raise my current level from 50?

Robbie...LOL, 7 gallons!! But, noticed you have 44k gallons. Wow...is this your private pool or something you manage? Maybe you could generate some waves in that hummer!

It is my personal pool. I do manage it though. ;)

The eye protection is a very good idea. I was EXTREMELY careful to not slosh while pouring, but there is always the chance, and your eyes are precious.

pool-1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.