Pump Speed for 27-31 K gallons

maggiem

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2008
Not sure if I should be posting this to my "New Build" post or not so feel free to move me along if need be!

I'm looking at everyone's siggys and seeing 1.5 and 2 hp pumps for pools with less gallonage (is that a word?) than what we are due to have. I'm now wondering if we should get a bigger one? PB assures us that 1hp is just fine due in part to the kidney shape. Thoughts appreciated :)

ETA - electricity is relatively low cost so we won't need to run on a 8hour on 16 hour off type of schedule and plan to leave it running for long stretches of time.

A 1 HP pump is preferred for your pool unless you have a spa or water features of some kind you haven't mentioned. A smaller pump will save you electricity and do just as good a job at keeping the pool clean.

Pool builders routinely sell people pumps that are far larger than they need, which end up being very expensive to run. Just one of many problems in the swimming pool industry.

Your PB sounds like one of the few who really knows what they are doing.

Jason - thanks! I think we really lucked out with this PB! Never have felt pressured to over-buy or get needless stuff. Seeing all the larger pumps just made me very curious. Odd that we end up questiong NOT being oversold but I find myself second guessing everything due to the large amount of $$ being invested LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.