Clarification on shocking

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the website and i'm sure many have been in my shoes. I've previously checked the web for information on pools, found some good stuff and it would appear i've found some stuff not so good, so i'm not actually as good as i thought!

Now i've found pool school and this website i'm very happy as you all seem to know what your talking about and i'm trying to take it all in as quick as possible.

I look after a pool at the villa which is managed by the company i work for. Other then the few odd times i've never really had a bad time with Algae until recent which is partly my fault for not really knowing what i'm doing. Its certainly isn't a green swamp, but i have some large areas of green on the bottom.

I would like some clarification on the shocking procedure. I have a SWG so i was going to use bleach to shock. I understand the FC needs to be relevant to the CYA (i've just added some chemicals today to adjust the CYA and will be ready to shock so wanted to make sure i'm doing it right)

I add bleach to bring up the shock level and then it says to continue added every hour or so, is this because all the chlorine created by the bleach will be used up already? I have a taylor test kit so cannot test to high levels of chlorine, how can i tell i'm reaching the right levels without a higher tester? How much will a standard sized bottle of bleach rise the chlorine by if the pool is 13,000 or is that a impossible question to answer?

I will try to get a full set of test results tomorrow (wed 25th)

I thank you in advance and apologise for my lack of knowledge!!

bvipoolguy said:
I add bleach to bring up the shock level and then it says to continue added every hour or so, is this because all the chlorine created by the bleach will be used up already?
Yes. And as soon as the FC drops, the algae starts multiplying again. You need to keep on the offensive the whole time, or whatever you added already was for nothing.
I have a taylor test kit so cannot test to high levels of chlorine, how can i tell i'm reaching the right levels without a higher tester?
Order a FAS-DPD tester. You can read up to 50 ppm with it. If it's not available, even by mail order, in BVI, then you'll need to dilute your sample water with distilled water and multiply the results by an appropriate factor, which will not be very accurate.
How much will a standard sized bottle of bleach rise the chlorine by if the pool is 13,000 or is that a impossible question to answer?
Pool Calculator says "Adding 128 oz of 6% bleach will raise FC by 4.7 and raise Salt by 7.8. Bookmark that page. It's also able to work in metric.

Thanks Richard.

Just the information i was looking for. One more question for now if i may.

On the chlorine/cya chart the SWG are listed with a higher CYA. Can you run a SWG at lower CYA like a non-SWG?

Thanks for you help and fingers cross i can get rid of this algae and using the pool school create and keep a beautiful pool :)

You can run a swcg at normal CYA levels but you have to run it at a higher percentage and are therefore using up the cell faster. You're usually better off following the recommendations here and running the CYA a bit higher than for a non-swcg pool.

It looks great again thanks Richard. I've had a few issues in the past, but confident I can keep on top of it all now. Of course unless we get another hurricane like last year! I had a tree break into the pool and dumped if I remember right, was about 5 trash cans of leaves into the pool!

Would appreciate if you can could check out one of my other topics. Still looking for feedback on that overflow pool and now i've added photos and a plan.

Cheers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.