HELLLPPPPP!

May 15, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I was tired tonight and not thinking straight---put in too much CYA. I immediatley realized my mistake when I went to write the numbers down and took the sock out of the pool. Knew I needed to halve the amount (not fun when wet--a complete freakin' mess!) Put the sock back in the pool. Now, what in the heck do I do with the leftover WET CYA??? I looked at the MSDS sheet and it really did not help. It is about 1.5-2# dry CYA that is wet and soggy.

I called the non-emergency fire department and they had no idea. The lieutenant told me to put it up somewhere and cover it and call the solid waste district tomorrow! MSDS sheet online said NOT to cover it if wet. We have hazardous waste drop off in our county, but it was until (sigh) 4pm TODAY! Chemgeek, I hope you are online soon!

If you leave it outside somewhere where it can dry off you should be able to rescue most of it. But you don't want the run off going into the ground. Try putting it in a basin or bucket but held up off the bottom so it can dry out.

If it doesn't dry out or you want to get rid of it, then the following is typical of most MSDS for Cyanuric Acid:

WASTE DISPOSAL:
If this product becomes a waste, it DOES NOT meet the criteria of a hazardous
waste as defined under 40 CFR 261, in that it does not exhibit the
characteristics of hazardous waste in Subpart C, nor is it listed as a
hazardous waste under Subpart D. As a nonhazardous solid waste, it should be
disposed of in accordance with local, state, and federal regulations by
disposal in a secure chemical landfill. Care must be taken to prevent
environmental contamination from the use of this material. The user of this
material has the responsibility to dispose of unused material, residues and
containers in compliance with all relevant local, state and federal laws and
regulations regarding treatment, storage and disposal for hazardous and
nonhazardous wastes.
You can always take it to your local garbage dump that has a hazardous waste facility and tell them what it is. They may just have you dump it with regular landfill, but that's up to them and they'll know the local regs (and can look it up, if necessary). It's toxic in concentrated form, but soil bacterial will love it and use it as a food source producing ammonia (actually ammonium ion which is more prevalent at lower pH) that will be taken up by plants, but only if this CYA gets well diluted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.