Help clear my green pool

Jun 7, 2008
alabama
Ok, trying to turn my pool back into a sparkling oasis!
Using the TF100 kit, these are my readings:

FC-4 parts per million
Ph- 6
CC-2
TA- 10
CH- 200
CYA- 50
These readings are for a 30,000 gal IG pool with a vinyl liner. We have a sand filter.
This problem occurred after the tornados that came through AL. Pool was clear prior to the storms, but since we have had green water. Approximately two weeks. Started yesterday with chlorine. Added total of 2400 ounces since 3 PM yesterday. We have also been brushing the pool and running the filter continuously. Water is still green and is not holding a high level of chlorine. What do I need to do now?

Are you sure you added Chlorine and not Muratic Acid? TA of 10 and PH of 6 is bound to cause damage to your pool surface. PH needs to be raised with Borax to 7.2 promptly. How did you measure PH of 6? The TF100 only goes down to 6.8 :scratch:

Once PH is back in line, you will need a lot of bleach/liquid chlorine. Sorry to hear about the trouble the storms caused :cry:

Checked #'s and PH was 6.8. I used liquid chlorine (bleach 6%)
One thing that I did realize after reading some more posts, was that instead of adding the bleach all at one time, I added a little at a time over a 24 hr period. Going to try this again over the weekend. Thanks guys!

Make it a priority to work on getting PH and TA at least roughly in range You want PH between 7.2 and 7.8 and TA between 50 and 90 for now. Chlorine is sometimes ineffective when PH and TA are too low.

Then try raising FC to shock level, around 16 to 20 when CYA is 50, a couple of times a day.

Started late yesterday afternoon with my shock after getting my Ph levels and TA in the acceptable range. Checked my shock levels every half hour then hourly and only had to add minimal chlorine to keep it high. This morning levels had dropped from 20 to 17, pool still had some green spots but after brushing it is now a murky blue. I am seeing progress but will continue to monitor chlorine level closely today. Thanks so much ! :whoot:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey! It's not green!! :whoot:

Keep the FC up and the filter running, and go away for a couple hours. A watched pot never boils and a watched pool never clears.

Do not get complacent, though.....run the shock process until completion, including that annoying overnight loss test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.