Light output from LED fixtures vs. Pentair Sam

CraigMW

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2011
Orange County, CA
Our pool has two Sam color changing lights, one in the main pool and one in the spa. They both house 2 70W bulbs each. They are also 120V fixtures, and I would like to change these to new 12V fixtures. I've seen much about the new LED based fixtures (e.g. Intellibrite, ColorLogic, etc) and wonder how their light output compares to the Sam lights. I'm not terribly happy with the output of the Sam in the pool. Unfortunately, the builder only put one wet niche into the main pool, and being free form, and on the large side, the single Sam light doesn't really illuminate the pool adequately. How would the new LED lights perform in this context? Any other thoughts about increasing brightness for when the kids are swimming at night?

In my experiences, the SAM and the LED is not a LARGE difference. In the last few years technology has gotten better, but we are still limited to the lumens that LED and a 75W halogen. Thought the LED, such as "intellibrite" can do more color, it will not outshine a SAM. Maybe someone else can kick in their opinion, but I wanted to post what I've seen in the field. Also, keep in mind, they do make 120v LED as well. Polaris was selling an LED bulb for a while, but I think they discontinued it. Also, LED lights can have strips of the lights go out and there is no way to replace them without changing the whole bulb or you want to take on re-soldering new bulbs in

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.