Pump outlet wiring question (4-prong) 115

G

I have a 4-prong Pass & Seymour Turnlok plug on my pump. I'm having problems with the pump and want to make sure that the problem isn't caused by my electric.

I can use my digital meter on a normal house outlet but am not sure how to read this 4-prong outlet. It's 115, not 230 so is also different from a dryer outlet.

There is a neutral L-shaped blade and the other 3 are flat. What should the readings be?

Thanks.

the outlet looks like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pass-Seymour-ne-L16 ... 1452023957

The socket you are pointing to is a 480 volt three phase socket. That would not normally be used for a swimming pool pump. Often you see a similar outlet with three blades, instead of four, used for pool pumps. It is possible that they simply used three of the four blades because that was the only twist lock socket they could find, in which case there is no telling how they wired it.

Thanks. That confirms what I'd read.

I don't know how long the previous owner had this set up, but it looks like it's been here a while and has worked for the 3 years I've been here. The plug was bad a couple of years ago and I just went to the pool store to replace it; odd that they didn't say anything then.

However, now I'm trying to figure out if the pump is bad, or if the problem could be in the wiring to the outlet. The pump was shutting off after running the filter for a while (10 minutes to an hour or so -- pressure was good, no air, looked to be running normally, no signs of a problem). The pump was working at the shop a couple of days ago and the owner said it sounded OK. Before I replace it, I want to make sure that the outlet and wiring are OK.

After my first post, I opened up the box where the outlet is and it all looks good, no corrosion. But the breaker tripped when I was using my meter....

Will report back after neighbor electrician takes a look hopefully tomorrow. If the outlet is good, I'll check out the capacitor on the pump. Next step would simply be a new pump. I hope to get this resolved tomorrow as it's supposed to be a hot weekend!

BTW, are those little pump motor covers any good?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.