Need some help... PLEASE

Rescue30

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2008
New Jersey
Opened the pool , it was a green mess .Vacumed algae out , slowly clearing up . The Cya level was 0 !,and I had 2 pm of Ammonia (yes, my yearly problem) I shocked the pool with granules and put the SWG on Boost .Ammonia is gone and I added CYA Sunday evening, it is now up to 50 ppm .Fc is 11, I figured I'll leave it high until I'm at my 75ppm of CYA , still a little cloudy but I'm starting being able to see the bottom. My Alk is 90, Ph was 6.8 , I guess after adding the Cya the Ph dropped ?? How can i clear this up quickly and how long do I wait before adding more Cya ???
thanks

Your pH reading is suspect, because FC is over 10. So don't sweat it. CYA will take a week or so to register 100%. If you added enough to get to 75, assume that's what it is for now. Since you're battling algae, don't add any more! Yet.

Right now you need to worry about killing the algae. If CYA is only 50, FC should be 16 or above. If you added enough to get to 75, then FC should be above 21! The SWG will not be able to get it up there - you need to manually add chlorine. Depending on the CH value, you might be able to buy powdered shock - Calcium Hypochlorite - or you may wish to just use bleach.

This how-to will explain what you need to do in greater detail. But don't add any more CYA until the pool is clear!

Ok, maybe I wasn't clear enough (no pun!!). The pool started out real green . I shocked with bleach and it seemed to kill everything. I put the SWG on boost and vacuumed all the algae to waste .there is a drop of dead algae here and there in the pool, I'm just waiting for it to clear up so I can see it better and vacuum it to waste again. I then realized I had 2 ppm of Ammonia and no CYA at all. I shocked like crazy with sodium-dichlor granules and got rid of the ammonia . I started adding CYA but decided to do it slowly, am I right that my goal is 70-75 with the SWG ? I did not add all the CYA yet, I will retest Sunday which is a week from when I put in the the initial CYA dose. I tested last night and had 50ppm of CYA , so I willadd the rest to get there on Sunday.Alk is good , Ph was a drop low so I added to bring it up to 7.2, I did put in some clarifier this morning as well, and am able to finally see the bottom ( 10 Ft deep) , but not so clearly yet . Is there anything I'm missing ???? THANKS

Yes, the SWG causes the PH to rise when the TA is high. Just do as Jason said and it's not a problem. There is no danger associated with high TA. If high TA combined with high PH and high CH you could result in calcium scale forming, but again, just monitor the PH and it shouldn't be an issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.