Barracuda G3 stopped working

jollya

Oct 8, 2007
I have a 15, 000 gallon pool, 1hp pump (abt 8 years old), new Hayward 900 filtration system with a new filter, dedicated vacuum line and a new Barracuda G3. The Barracuda stopped sucking. I had the diaphragm checked and it is good. I cleaned all the baskets and rinsed the filter and the Barracuda still wouldn't work. It also seemed that the main drain and the skimmer weren't pulling in a lot of water. Pressure on the filter gauge is between 8-10psi. I then took the filter out and turned everything back on and guess what the Barracuda works great and I have crazy suction. When I put the filter back in, the Barracuda stops working and suction goes down. Any ideas? This is driving me crazy. [/size]

You may have some debris stuck in the pump impeller or some other blockage in the return line.
Have you had conditions that would have put alot of debris in the pool that the cleaner may have sucked up, and clogged the pump basket? Some of this debris may have gotten past the basket and got stuck in the impeller.

It's also possible that there may be blockage from the filter element from .... oils? That's about the only thing that can cause the filter element to be constrictive, especially after you've cleaned the element.
Make sure there are no valves restricing flow through your system.

You were exactly right! I had a pool brush that started deteriorating and the little strings were caught in the impeller. I cleaned it out and now have great pressure. The G3 still isn't working right. It comes on and then stops. I also noticed bubbles coming out the returns. Any ideas?

Bubbles are a sign of a suction side leak. Do you see bubbles in the pump lid? Your vaccuum hose may be leaking somewhere. You can find the leak by making sure the hose sections are all connected tightly and by taking each section of the hose and dunking it underwater until the bubbles clear up (so you'll need a second person to help you). You can normally hear if there is a suction leak in the hose.
The G3 usually come with a skimmer adapeter adjustment valve that allows you to adjust the amount of suction. Make sure this is adjusted properly.

I have a dedicated vacuum line in my pool and I have the G3 connected to it. The basket next to the pump does seem to have air in the top, it doesn't completely fill to the top with water. There is air bubbles coming out the return jets even when I turn the vacuum line off and turn the main drain line on. I really appreciate all the advice. I'm new to the pool upkeep and learning everyday.

We're all glad to help!

The easiest way to try to identify where there may be a leak is to start isolating your suction point.
You have three main points of suction to the pump:
Main Drain
Skimmer
Dedicated suction line
There should be a valve or valves that closes off each line. Start by closing off the vaccuum line and skimmer, making sure the main drain is left opened. Then, switch the valves over to draw only from the skimmer. Observe to see which one clears up the bubbles. If you don't see any change the problem may be in the plumbing from the valve to the pump.
A trick I like to recommend is to use a sopping wet hand towel. Use the towel to wrap around the glue joints individually on your Valves, fittings, and connections. Then around your pump lid. If you wrap the towel around the spot that is sucking in air, the wet towel will seal it off so that the bubbles clear up. Actually, it will still suck air, but with the wet towel, it's more likely to draw in the water rather than air, therefore clearing up the bubbles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.