Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I remove thick white line at tile

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I remove thick white line at tile

How do I remove a 1 inch wide white tile line. I have already tried the pool pumice stones. That just seem to make it worse. The pool is 3 years old with a pebble fina finish.

Thanks
    Loraine
    18,000 in-ground pool, Pebble Fina Finish, 2hp Pentair pump, Hayward 311sx sand filter. KT 2006 Test kit Tabs/bleach

2. Back To Top    #2
    Have you tried the Mr. Clean white magic eraser sponge? I'm not sure that's its correct official name.

Anna
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

3. Back To Top    #3

Magic eraser

Thanks for your response! Sorry I forgot to mention I tried that first.
    Loraine
    18,000 in-ground pool, Pebble Fina Finish, 2hp Pentair pump, Hayward 311sx sand filter. KT 2006 Test kit Tabs/bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Paul,

Welcome to the forum. How did the stain get there? Without a pic, it sounds like calcium deposits.....muriatic acid is the cure.

If we knew more about how it got there, what you think it is, or a picture, we'd be better able to help.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    It is definitely mineral deposits. It was fine the first 2 years of pool ownership. This year we had only one rainstorm in the summer. FYI I am in Phoenix. We had over 32 days of 110 degree weather. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Paul and Loraine

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Muriatic acid will remove it.

More importantly, it sounds like your water has experienced high pH for a time to allow that much precipitate. Do you have a set of test numbers you can post?.....particularly pH and Calcium Hardness?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    What is the best way to apply muratic acid?
    built 4/08/2000 16 x32 460 Sq FT Pool 16,000 gallons 3.5 ft 5 ft 3.5 ft sport pool

8. Back To Top    #8

Don't know if it's the best way, but when I clean mineral deposits, I use a quart-size trigger sprayer bottle. I use a 4 parts water, 1 part muriatic acid mixture. Some people start with more water (less dilute mixture). I make up about a cup of the mixture because that's usually more than enough for the few areas I need to treat. Always add acid to the water in the sprayer, not the reverse. I don rubber gloves and eye protection and hop in the pool. (What a sight, I know!! )

You can wait until you're in the pool to add the acid to the water in the sprayer...that way there's not really any concern if you spill a bit...it just lands in the pool.

Then, I spray a small area, let it bubble on the surface, scrub with a hand brush. Repeat as necessary. Rinse the area with pool water when you're done. When everything's done, I empty any leftover mixture into the pool and use pool water to rinse out my brush and sprayer, including the trigger mechanism. Then I take a nice relaxing swim as my reward
    Sandy

15,600 gallon, screened 15 x 30 sport pool with 6 x 8 baja shelf, IG plaster (Diamondbrite??), Hayward cartridge filter, 1-HP Hayward pump, Hayward/EUS Mark VI heat pump, Polaris 280, AquaRite SWCG