pump recommendation

May 24, 2011
North Texas
We're at the point of replacing our 10+yr old 3hp single speed whisperflo. I'm considering the dual speed 1.5hp full rated whisperflo WFDS-6. Would this be a good replacement? The pool came with the house we bought several years ago. Last year we replaced the liner and added the SWG. The pool specs are 25,760gal vinyl lined inground, Autopilot DIG-220 SWG, 36" TR-140 sand filter. It has an in floor cleaning system, but the jets are only acting as returns at this point. They cycle to the next zone each time the pool comes on. At some point my husband would like to replace the valve kit to restore full operation. I personally would rather just get a good robot! I spoke with Autopilot tech support and they do not think the variable speed is a good option with the SWG. What are some thoughts/recommendations from those with experience?

Thank You!

Julia

The Whisperflo's are highly thought of so I'd say that's a good unit for you. The variable speeds are not a problem with a swcg you just have to be sure it runs at high enough speed to have it work properly.

Thank you for your reply. I had initially wanted a variable speed for the energy efficiency, but with my set up (SWG and in floor system) it seems I may not be able to get the full benefit of the lower speeds. Are the energy savings significant compared to the 2 speed on my set up I wonder? Plus, the variable speeds seem more complicated...

The in floor system does require quite a bit of pressure to work correctly. With a variable speed pump you can adjust the pump to run at the slowest speed that still works with the in-floor system, but it will still be a fairly high speed and not save nearly as much energy as you could save without the in-floor system. Running the in-floor system, it is unlikely to save you money in the long run unless you have extremely high electric rates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.