infants and children swim lessons

venusflyer

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2007
Lebanon, TN
Has anyone ever had any experience with this? Infant Swimming Resources (I hope it's okay I put this link in here....)
I have two young children (older than a year, but still young enough to learn, I think) and was thinking about putting them through this course. Watch the video...it's really amazing.

So, my question is, does anyone have any experience with this? At what age do you teach your children to swim? We are planning on getting a pool next year, and despite all precautions we will take to ensure our children are safe, you can never be too safe, right?

Thanks for all input!

I must say I am very curious about this too. I had heard about it from a friend and was EXTREMELY skeptical but the videos are impressive. Has anyone actually had their kids trained? I have an 8 moth old and 23 month old and figured they were both too young to learn to swim, but maybe not!

I took my daughter to "formal" swim lessons when she was 3, but self taugh my boys when they were 2 and 4. Honestly, it was quicker teaching my younger son because he literally had no fear. It seems te older they are, the more aware they are, so the more fear they have.
I don't know about this particular organization, but it looks like it;s more private instructional lessons.
I've heard of infants less than 12 months old taking these type of lessons, successfully.
Not that they are going to do the butterfly by the time they're 2 years old, but it does teach them how to flip on their backs and to swim to the side, to avoid drowning... which is the main purpose for these lessons at such a young age.
All three of my kids swim like fish now!

Just like learning to sit up, crawl, walk, talk, potty train, etc- it all depends on the child. So many factors play into it, such as fear, stubborn, amount of practice, wanting to keep up with a sibling, etc.

My son, who was/is extremely stubborn, did not learn to swim until he was 4. We didn't have a pool then, so practice time was limited to the amount of time I spent at the in laws house. My neice learned at age 2, but she was in our pool at least once a week and she really wanted to swim.

I went through our local community college for the lessons for my son.

Good luck!

I have! I'm an ISR Certified Instructor and have been teaching in Arizona for 5 years. Now, I'm a little biased, but its an AMAZING program that has literally changed my life.

I enrolled my oldest when she was 10 months old because we had a pool that was not fenced. In AZ, drowning is the #1 accidental cause of death in children 4 & under. The summers here are horrible with sometimes multiple drowning or near-drowning stories weekly, many of which do not happen in the home, but at a friend's or relative's house, but that's another story altogether. Anyway, I was so amazed with my daughters lessons that I decided to quit my high-paid job in software sales and pursue becoming an instructor.

This is NOT like any traditional swimming lessons. First of all, the instructors undergo a 5 week in-water training program with a Master Instructor and study child psychology, behaviorism, physiology and psychology. I personally put in about 90 hours of study between both my in-water work and academics. As skinnydipper said, all children progress through different developmental stages at different rates. The lessons HAVE to be private because they are child-directed and based on the individual child's skill level. Private lessons are also so much safer for your child. I've aquired a few clients from a local swim school here because of children who slipped off the wall or off the lane line during a group lesson while the instructor was distracted with another child.

We start as young as 6 months old, but the goal at that age is strictly aquatic survival. The babies learn to roll on their back and float and wait for help. Once the child is over a year old, they can learn to hold their breath and swim underwater, then roll on their backs to float, rest & breathe, then flip back over and continue swimming. It really does work like you see in the video. I've trained more than 150 kids just like that. I have lots of pictures and underwater videos of my own 3 kids as well as my students doing what you see.

The problem with "water adjustment" lessons is that the child learns to become comfortable in the water before they have any skills. From birth, we send the message that water is fun. It IS fun, but it is not SAFE unless your child has the age appropriate skills to handle themselves in the water. Like Poolsean said, they are NOT going to be doing the butterfly (or freestyle for that matter) at age two. Most kids don't have the cross-coordinational skills for formal stroke work until they are at least 4, but they can still swim like fish as young as 1! All 3 of my kids did! Summers in our house are fun!!!

Anyway, most any parent who has been through ISR lessons will give you a glowing review. I have lots of parents who are references if anyone wants a first-hand opinion!!

Happy swimming!

Isrmom,

Thanks for the information. I'm in Sahuarita, you wouldn't be the instructor that's listed at the clubhouse would you? I was wondering if you could give us a little more details on the training. Obviously water safety is extremely important for my family, but so is water fun. I'm hoping you can give us an accurate picture. The up-sides are obvious... a child able to keep himself from drowning... but I must believe there are some downsides as well. Is the training a traumatic process? I envision many carefully controlled near-drowning occurances as part of the training accompanied with a very distressed child. I'm not sure my wife or I are really equipped for that.

Also, doe this lead to a lessening of the childs enjoyment of the water? I want to be able to play in the pool with my babies and not have the immediately trying to go into self-preservation mode. What about bath times? Will the baby react with their training every time they get in the tub? If not, does it decrease the potency of their anti-drowning training by having calm and happy swim/bath sessions?

Now don't get me wrong, I value my kdis lives above my own but there is risk everywhere in life... kids can die riding their tricycles on the sidewalk yet we minimize that risk by close supervision and safety eqipment. I wouldn't want my kid to run in fear from a tricycle even if it made him 100% safe from them. I kind of think that the pool can be the same way... obviously there is risk there but we minimize that risk as best we can. We have high fences and child-proof latches and doors and we never let them in the pool gate without life jackets. I'm currently fairly comfortable with that approach. I do have concerns about other pools that we don't directly control, but we do directly control where our children go and with whom.

All that said, I'm still very curious and possibly interested in getting my kids ISR trained... I just want to get a clear picture of what it involves and the possible ups and downs. Also, can you give us an idea of the cost of this training? I'm guessing you wouldn't want to give exact pricing since that changes, but can you at least ball-park it for us?

Thanks!

Just a quick opinion: Even if your child knows how to swim you can never let your guard down with pool safety. A child who is a good swimmer can still run into trouble, especially if they fall into a very cold pool or bump their head while falling into the pool. A fenced in pool or a sturdy pool cover are as important to pool safety as swim lessons, if not more.

:sun:

Skinnydipper is absolutely 100% on-the-spot!!! NO one, regardless of age, can ever be considered drownproof. Constant ADULT supervision is the only sure way to prevent drowning. We teach "layers" of safety: 1 - Educate the community about the issue (pool perimeter fencing, building codes, etc), 2 - educate the parents about their responsibilities (constant supervision) and finally, 3 - educate the baby. We hope that no baby ever has to use their skills because that means that the primary defense layers have broken down or failed somhow. Unfortunately, many do, but there is no guarantee with any lessons!!

Eskimo Pie - I sent you a PM about lessons in your area....I'm on the far northeast side of town but check your messages and I'd be happy to talk to you about some of the specifics. Our local web site has some pricing information for our area and I sent you that link in your PM.
To answer some of your other questions.... Every child reacts differently to the lessons. It is always an adjustment while they get to know & trust the instructor, learn what is expected of them, and become confident with their new skills. One of my kids was very hesitant in his lessons, but was (and continues to be) an absolute maniac when he is in the water at home with us. The last week of lessons, we do a regular lesson in full clothing and incorporate a few simulations, but it is a very gentle, controlled simulation and is specifically set up for success. The goal is competent, confident swimmers! Trauma doesn't set the child up for either success or confidence! A good analogy would be the car seat in yor car....you are a careful driver, but in case of an accident, the car seat can help to prevent injury. Hope that helps!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.